The initial reports are starting to trickle in about classes, sermons and other activities related to Evolution Sunday.
- New York Times, At Churches Nationwide, Good Words for Evolution, NEELA BANERJEE and ANNE BERRYMAN
- The Christian Post, Churches Mark ‘Evolution Sunday’ on Darwin’s Birthday Amid Debates, Jason Davis
- The Register Guard, Churches mark anniversary of Darwin’s birth, By Neela Banerjee and Anne Berryman
- The Herald Journal, Having faith in science, By Adam Benson
- The San Jose Mercury News, Christian churches celebrate Darwin’s birthday, By Lisa Anderson
- Ekklesia, US churches celebrate ‘Evolution Sunday
- Denver Post, Faithful sing praises of science, creation, Jennifer Brown
- Inside Bay Area, Christians mark birth of Darwin, by Brian Foley
The Bible explains it one way. Darwin explains it another way.
But members of the United Church of Hayward on Mission Boulevard say religion and science don’t conflict when it comes to our origins. That was the theme of Sunday morning’s service, in celebration of Charles Darwin’s 197th birthday.
“That’s something most Christians struggle with as we all develop our own personal relationship with God,” said church member Roger McCluney, who lives in Hayward. “The Bible is 2,000 years old and we still can’t get it right because we are always interpreting it.”