Suricata suricatta

meerkat.jpg

Suricata suricatta — Meerkat, North Carolina Zoo

Cool picture.

I didn’t realize how small these guys actually were until I saw them at the SD Zoo.

“Damn, there’s a giant preying mantis in that parking lot over there!”

“I wish I had a funky necklace like Flower–But I’m stuck in this !#@$&*!!! zoo!”

Did you see the chimps? They have a nice little chimp enclosure there. I saw about 6 when i went last year.

Lee said:

Roger Ebert is an idiot.

AIM first then shoot. This may have been either a Poe or more likely a hackjob on his blog. Ebert denounced creationism in a 2005 review, and if he had been a creationist he would have reviewed EXPELLED … it isn’t even found in a search on his blog.

I would bet matters will be clarified before the week is out.

White Rabbit (Greg Goebel) http://www.vectorsite.net/gblog.html

steve s said:

I saw them, but didn’t get any good pictures, since they kept their backs turned to us. The glass also left some ghosting on the images. I may have one that I’ll upload.

It’s cousin, the yellow mongoose, can get very accustomed to people. I once saw one sitting by the side of a road in the centre of Windhoek, watching the cars going up and down the hill.

If the formal name is Suri-something, shouldn’t it be called a Tomkat? ;-)

eric said:

Cool picture.

Sure you weren’t looking at pygmy mongeese?

Dear Reed,

It’s a great photograph. Didn’t know you were a fine photographer too.

Just shows you how this fine little critter is a superb example of Klingon Cosmology at work (If you believe that, then I have a bridge spanning the East River between Manhattan and Brooklyn which I can offer to you for sale.).

Cheers,

John

There’s Timon … where’s Pumbaa?

I keep looking for the Disney CD of Timon and Pumbaa singing classic pop hits but apparently it is long out of print.

White Rabbit (Greg Goebel)

John Kwok said:

Dear Reed,

It’s a great photograph. Didn’t know you were a fine photographer too.

Cheers,

John

As soon as my lawyer gets out of solitary confinement at the state penitentiary, he, his associates, the warden and I wish to speak with you about a breach of contract when you failed to deliver the Arc d’Triomphe to my home after receiving payment.

Stanton said:

I apologize for the shameless plug but I can’t resist:

“So what makes you think you have the qualifications to crticize Bill Dembski’s work?”

“Given my studies on the relevant topic, I would say I was over-qualified.”

White Rabbit (Greg Goebel) http://www.vectorsite.net/gblog.html

I’ve always thought that S. suricatta were more, much more, than mere cats. They seem to be like little guys. Little guys with lots to do and lots of ways to get ‘er done. Not like any mere cat I’ve ever been around. Mere cats are slug-a-beds, lazy brutes with practically no interest in the world at large. But these critters are just like little guys; busy, engaged, energetically cooperative. We could learn a lot from these fellas.

What? “meer” cats? Well, a mere transposition can’t change the facts!

All hail Suricatta!! Attend their industry and clannish devotion! See them work together for common goals! Wax misty-eyed as they bed down for the night all cozy and warm! Compare that to what mere cats do …

(Full disclosure: mere cats and I get along just fine and I like them little kiddens. The last one that lived with me happily learned all of the common dog tricks (sit, shake, lie down, roll over, open a bottle of beer. Well, not that, but he was just like little guy too.))

Crudely Wrott said:

I’ve always thought that S. suricatta were more, much more, than mere cats.

But have you ever seen a mere dog turn into a mere cat in the laboratory? :)

Yup, pretty sure. I think I was suprised because I’ve been around banded mongoose in Namibia, and expected meercats to be about the same size.

Stanton said:

eric said:

Cool picture.

Sure you weren’t looking at pygmy mongeese?

Kevin B said:

Crudely Wrott said:

I’ve always thought that S. suricatta were more, much more, than mere cats.

But have you ever seen a mere dog turn into a mere cat in the laboratory? :)

Only once, Kevin. It must have been ‘bout ‘71 or ‘72, I think. And not in the lab but in a wooded glen on the west coast of Florida. I have forgotten the details but it was past midnight on a Saturday in the summer. I never did catch their names. Pity. ;-)

iml8 said: I would bet matters will be clarified before the week is out.

As it was, in fact.

Some days ago I posted an article headlined, “Creationism: Your questions answered.” It was a Q&A that accurately reflected Creationist beliefs. It inspired a firestorm on the web, with hundreds, even thousands of comments on blogs devoted to evolution and science. More than 600 comments on the delightful FARK.com alone. Many of the comments I’ve seen believe I have converted to Creationism. Others conclude I have lost my mind because of age and illness. There is a widespread conviction that the site was hacked. Lane Brown’s blog for New York magazine flatly states I gave “two thumbs down to evolution.” On every one of the blogs, there are a few perceptive comments gently suggesting the article might have been satirical. So far I have not seen a single message, negative or positive, from anyone identifying as a Creationist.

OriGuy said:

As it was, in fact.

It was a Poe, but from Ebert’s response he didn’t quite understand the definition of a Poe: “Without providing a winky or the equivalent, it is impossible to tell a parody of a lunatic-fringer from a real lunatic-fringer.”

I always remember Archimedes Plutonium in this context: “I couldn’t possibly fake anything THIS crazy.” I like to think that “Poe” stands for “Pretense Of Extremism”, though that’s clearly a “backronym”.

White Rabbit (Greg Goebel) http://www.vectorsite.net/gblog.html

This page contains a single entry by Reed A. Cartwright published on September 22, 2008 12:00 PM.

Living in an Alternate Reality was the previous entry in this blog.

Eureka! Heureka! An Astonishing New Ant! is the next entry in this blog.