Meleagris gallopavo

By Eric Rosenberg, http://www.flickr.com/gimlack

turkey.jpg

Meleagris gallopavo — Wild Turkeys, Rancho San Antonio, CA

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly” - Arthur Carlson, WKRP

(sets phaser to Jive)

What be dis JIBE youse tryin’ t’feed me, turkey?

Great quote. Turkeys do quite well with the famous creationist “half a wing”…except when dropped out of helicopters :)

Henry J said:

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly” - Arthur Carlson, WKRP

Henry J said:

“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly” - Arthur Carlson, WKRP

Turkeys can fly, but, being large ground-dwelling fowl, and being the North American ecological analogue of their relatives, the true pheasants, they tend to not make a habit of flying.

Plus, then there’s the problem of how domestic turkeys are bred for maximum weight, which puts a nasty cramp in their already mediocre aerodynamic ability.

I presume, since he’s busy taking potshots at creationist neurologists (a different sort of turkey…), that Prof PZ Myers has not succeeded in crossing a turkey with an octopus (so that everyone can have a leg :)

I’d formed a hypothesis that the recent sea-bird pictures were somehow connected with “creationist canards”. A turkey is obviously not a sea-bird, but I suppose that, since the turkey has largely supplanted the goose as Christmas fare, and since a goose is very nearly a duck, there is still an association.

Kevin B said:

Boneless, too.

Or an arm?

I’m a sucker for octurkey! It really sticks to your ribs.

I’m holding out for Octurducken. That almost sounds like a supervillain.

Wheels said:

I’m a sucker for octurkey! It really sticks to your ribs.

GvlGeologist, FCD said:

Kevin B said:

Boneless, too.

Are you referring to the turkeypus, or the (other) different sort of turkey?

Gorgeous AND tatsy!

Non native in California, may be fed by enthusiasts. Very different behavior in California from native areas and potentially serious consequences for ground dwelling fauna.

Looks like a board meeting at the Discovery Institute. No insult to turkeys intended.

From the picture it looks like a 3-headed critter. Which is what I look like to my wife and family when I talk sciency. So I have nothing to lose by pouring myself one of my favorite holiday drinks and calling it “meleagris gallopavo 101 on the rocks.” Besides, I’ll know I’ve had one too many when I can’t pronounce it. ;-)

Frank J said:

From the picture it looks like a 3-headed critter.

If we ever shipped it to Japan, they’d call on Godzilla to roast it before it got too far down the street.

Too late; Mathew Broderick killed him. ;)

Testing some new settings…

This page contains a single entry by Guest Contributor published on November 24, 2008 12:00 PM.

Egnor loses it, again was the previous entry in this blog.

Professor Olofsson on probability, statistics, and intelligent design is the next entry in this blog.