Tyrannosaurus rex

TRex.jpg

Tyrannosaurus rex — American Museum of Natural History

It’s easy to see why creationists think it was an herbivore.

Means nothing.

It’s just another kind of lizard.

The gigantic, predatory, dead for 300 million years and put in the earth by Satan to deceive us kind.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Is the asymmetry in the nostril area an artifact of fossilization or was it like that in life?

And he is so cunning in his deception he even faked some partially digested dino bones and mixed them up in dino poop.

Dean Wentworth said:

Maybe that’s where Bambam Rebel hit him with his club.

Mike said: Maybe that’s where Bambam Rebel hit him with his club.

No, wait, sorry, that’s Bambam Rubble. History was never my strong suit.

and the feathers are exactly where?

Mike said:

Dean Wentworth said:

Maybe that’s where Bambam [Rubble] hit him with his club.

I disagree. Clearly this is proof that the jews of Jesus’ time threaded their T.Rex reins through the right nostril, enlarging it.

‘Tis a cool photo, Timothy. I’m usually walking past that skeleton at least once a month, and haven’t really thought of looking at it from that perspective. When was it taken?

I suspect many things didn’t like to think about looking at these animals from this perspective.

Looking at this gives me a whole new respect for the prehistoric–excuse me, Adamic–coconut. Clearly, they were terrifying.

sharky said: Clearly, they were terrifying.

Nah! a short sharp tap on their muzzle with a lead and they were as good as gold!

When did creationists suggest that T-rex was a vegetarian? That’s pretty a kooky idea. I thought my colleague at work who is attempting to train his cats and dog to adjust to a vegan diet was odd, but then again, I live in California.

When did creationists suggest that T-rex was a vegetarian?

As I recall, that derives from the notion that there was no death before the fall. Although, that apparently applies only to animals; plants don’t get no respect.

Henry

They only ate fruit that had fallen to the ground. Pity about the deviated septum.

The most frightening sight a coconut ever sees.

George-o said:

It’s widely reported that visitors to Ken Ham’s Creation Museum in Kentucky are told that T. rex had large teeth so it could eat coconuts (before the Fall, as I’m sure you know, there was no death and therefore all animals were vegetarian).

Richard Simons said:

For that matter, if there was no death, why did T. rex have to eat anything at all? It couldn’t starve.

George-O said…

Dogs will do just fine on a vegetarian diet, though they do fart a lot.

Cats cant exist on a pure vegan diet, they can’t produce a certain amino acid (lysine, I think) and need to get it from external sources.

Wait,…I don’t see the saddle. Where’s the saddle?

I wonder how Rexy got up after taking a nap?

Glorious! First time on site and laughed for minutes! You guys are priceless. (Naturalist who needed that.) Thank you all.

Couldn’t Adam and Eve and the T. rexes they rode around on have eaten fruit (avoiding the seeds, of course) from plants that don’t need to die to produce food? That would let the plants in on the whole “no death before the fall” deal. Since coconuts are as alive as a human zygote, if not more so, I don’t think the T. rex would have eaten coconuts. You can eat, say, apples, without killing the tree or murdering precious seeds, so there’s no death involved. Maybe the T. rex ate seedless watermelons, which God surely made around the same time as his perfectly designed bananas?

Oh wait, bananas die after producing fruit, and now my head hurts!

Alex said:

Wait,…I don’t see the saddle. Where’s the saddle?

Barney, or perhaps Fred, certainly not Betty, took it off before the flood.

ooh! I’ve got pictures of “Sue” from when my S.O. and I were at the Natural History Museum in Auckland last month.

I’ll post them up later for comparison, see if there are noticeable differences between that specimen and this one.

It was a LOT darker there than where Tim shot this, so there is likely to be some graininess to the photos.

Crushing coconuts with those teeth? I think not. How would a coconut stay in place as the animal bit down? An intelligent agency would surely see that large, flat teeth would be far superior for this task.

Gary said:

Oh wait, bananas die after producing fruit, and now my head hurts!

Maybe Adam got in trouble not for eating the apple but for not spitting out the seed. It was probably Steve’s fault. I can just hear him saying”You got to swallow it Adam”.

and the feathers are exactly where?

Would T-Rex’s of a feather flock together?

Henry J said:

and the feathers are exactly where?

Would T-Rex’s of a feather flock together?

They tasted like chicken and came with a built-in supply of toothpicks. The shmoo of Bedrock.

Speaking about creationists (so perhaps not OT), I saw this work on making better proteins from scratch. This will not make anti-scientists happy:

“Our aim is to design new proteins from principles we discover studying natural proteins,” explains co-author Christopher C. Moser, PhD, Associate Director of the Johnson Foundation at Penn. “For example, we found that natural proteins are complex and fragile and when we make new proteins we want them to be simple and robust. That’s why we’re not re-engineering a natural protein, but making one from scratch.”

Currently, protein engineers take an existing biochemical scaffold from nature and tweak it a bit structurally to make it do something else. “This research demonstrates how we used a set of simple design principles, which challenge the kind of approaches that have been used to date in reproducing natural protein functions,” says Dutton. [Bold added.]

The researchers have made a new oxygen carrier, a hemo-not-a-globin-but-a-functional-bundle, with the intention to make miniature chemical reactors:

To build their protein, the Penn team started with just three amino acids, which code for a helix-shaped column. From this, they assembled a four-column bundle with loops that resembles a simple candelabra. They added a heme, a chemical group that contains an iron atom, to bind oxygen molecules. They also added another amino acid called glutamate to add strain to the candelabra to help the columns open up to capture the oxygen. Since heme and oxygen degrade in water, the researchers also designed the exteriors of the columns to repel water to protect the oxygen payload inside.

When they are satisfied with a sequence they use E. coli as a host for making the protein.

“This exercise is like making a bus,” says Dutton. “First you need an engine and we’ve produced an engine. Now we can add other things on to it. Using the bound oxygen to do chemistry will be like adding the wheels. Our approach to building a simple protein from scratch allows us to add on, without getting more and more complicated.” [Bold added.]

Nature produces proteins that are too complex and fragile for proficient designers, which is why they make up a real design rule set and likes the designed result molecular “engines”.

PS. They also walk dogs.

Interesting article, TL, thanks.

Interesting article, TL, thanks.

stevaroni said:

after going to AIG and reading enough of their “explanations” to find you a link, I’m going to have to go rinse out my brain with a log of alcohol

You are a braver man than me.

Around here dumpster diving has been popular too, but I hear it is a practiced art. Safety googling and rubber keyboard protectors will shield you from all the spit and dung flying from such sites [and your own spit-takes of coffee], besides the half-eaten and undigested facts that cover all sites and makes for hard going. And the roaches scrambling for cover is a fact of life that, apparently, one can get used to.

Though nothing, nothing, will protect you from the dangers of getting your scull caved in at the collapse of a creationist quote mine. So don’t even think of trying to bring light in there.

mrg said:

Interesting article, TL, thanks.

You are welcome.

PS. I’ve now read some comments of yours on Girl Genius Agatha (tho’ not gotten around answering them) - thanks profusely - and yes, she kicks ass, plus I happen to like long hair in a girl. She also kicks ass, literally, and who can resist that?

Torbjörn Larsson, OM said:

No need to answer here, too OT, though you could get into my BBS if you like:

There’s an entry on GG under “Miscellaneous”. I did like Gil’s comment in the last installment: “If I let EVERYONE I thought was an idiot die – there wouldn’t be many people LEFT!”

Considering some of the sorts who drop in to troll here, that’s not OT at all.

I was impressed by the adjustable eyes on stalks.

stevaroni said:

I mean, one does destroy the palm offspring if one eats a coconut. Or do creationists not believe that plants are alive?

Well, they were in The Garden. The palm trees there were probably more than happy to produce sterile coconuts for them, much like today’s factory chickens are more than happy to produce sterile eggs for McDonalds.

Besides, it’s a well known fact that not all coconuts will successfully sprout into trees. Most of them are destined to perish before taking root. God, being omniscient, could have identified the doomed coconuts and marked them for consumption.

In fact, maybe that’s what happened to the T-rexes.

The T-rex version of Eve ate a forbidden coconut and was banished from the garden, and there were no coconuts outside the garden, so after they ate the two unicorns they starved to death. The rest is history.

Seems wishy-washy to me…I mean does this mean, is an offspring not living just because it can’t reproduce? Wouldn’t it logically then apply that one could eat eunuchs because that wasn’t killing? I like your thinking, and I’m sure there are creationists who’d go with it, but I think it’s a stretch.

Hi all,

As for “Sue” currently on display at Chicago’s Field Museum, some of you may not know that McDonald’s - which had paid the winning bid on behalf of the Field Museum - agreed to make casts, so that the skeleton would be exhibited too elsewhere around the globe. One of the places it hasn’t appeared yet - and I think its appearance is long overdue - is at the Black Hills Institute for Geological Research in Hill City, SD. It was Pete Larson, his brother Neal, and their colleagues at Black Hills which unearthed the skeleton (Sue Hendrickson - for whom “Sue” was named for by Pete - was Pete’s girlfriend at the time, and assisting Black Hills.). Without hashing out the whole sordid affair here, I think Pete was convicted wrongly by the Federal government and is someone who should receive a pardon some day.

This page contains a single entry by Timothy Sandefur published on March 23, 2009 12:00 PM.

Another Discovery Institute Bill Fails… was the previous entry in this blog.

Creationism is just as racist as evolution is the next entry in this blog.