“Songs From the Science Frontier” - YOU can help kids get excited about science!

(earlier draft @ ERV)

Im sure everyone here is well aware of the fact we have ‘science education issues’ here in Oklahoma. Not only do we have a failing grade of 50% on the State Science Standards report card, we have a plethora of politicians and powerful religious leaders declaring scientists and science itself untrustworthy.

How do you get kids excited by science in this kind of landscape?

A childrens musician in Stillwater has a great idea going. Monty Harper pairs up with local scientists to give sweet presentations for kids at the Stillwater Public Library– Monty writes a catchy song about the scientist/their research, and the scientists talk about their research!

Monty has built up enough of a song-base now, he wants to make an album so he can help kids everywhere get excited about science. It will include songs on topics like phototaxic bacteria, stress hormones, wheat genomics, bacterial biofilms, bat taxonomy, x-ray crystallography, and luminescence dating! For real.

The lyrics on his song about how scientists study bat evolution are hysterical and awesome.

Here is where you can help– If you think this is a neato idea and would like to help it become reality, check out Montys page over at kickstarter.

Look at the donation tiers, and see where you want to help– you can donate and free CDs will be sent to a school of your choice, you can get a CD for yourself for your kids (Im giving mine to my nieces), you can get all kinds of insider exclusives, get your name in the CD booklet as an official donor, or at the highest tier– you can get a custom song of your very own, written about YOUR research or your FAVORITE branch of science if you arent a scientist, and be included on the CD!

Im contacting local freethought groups to see if they want to pitch in to get CDs sent to local rural schools– My parents teach at rural schools, and these kids (and their teachers) would appreciate a way to bring professional scientists and researchers into their classroom, even if its only vicariously. A pro-science, pro-family way to do some good.

If Monty doesnt reach his funding goal by August 21 (HIS BIRTHDAY), you wont be charged anything, Monty loses the window his producer has open, and he has to start all over.

Monty may not be a scientist, but he is using his passion and talent to actually DO something to promote science literacy and getting kids excited about science in a pretty harsh environment. I think thats just awesome.

I really look forward to this! Now if we could just get the makers of Barney to do an episode in which he states clearly that his ancestors never saw any humans in their day, that would also mean progress for science literacy. ;D

Thanks Abbie - Excellent work helping to put this together.

Guess Who - Yeah… but I’d also like to see a to-the-death cage match between a riled up Barney and Ken Ham.

But until then, I guess I’ll just have to go donate.

I’ll just leave this here. Carl Sagan FTW.

USA Science and Engineering Festival will be held in October from early to mid October in Washington, DC. But they are also seeking participant by organizations around the country who wish to have related events held in their regions which will be affiliated with the DC exposition. For further , including contact information, please look here:

There will be plenty of opportunities for children and families to engage in science-oriented activities, including meeting with scientists. Dinosaur Train’s Scott Sampson (who is a professional vertebrate paleobiologist) and Science Cheerleader Darlene Cavalier will be among those attending the DC exposition.

They Might Be Giants produced some nice science songs a few years ago. THey were actually guest’s on NPR’s Science Friday and performed a few. Go to the NPR site and listen to the podcast.

Ijust got up when I posted the earlier comment, so here’s the corrected version:

USA Science and Engineering Festival will be held in October from early to mid October in Washington, DC. But they are also seeking participantion by organizations around the country who wish to have related events held in their regions which will be affiliated with the DC festival. For further information, including contact information, please look here:

Darlene is also the cofounder of Citizens for Science, which tries to team interested members of the public who are interested in engaging in scientific research with professional scientists:

She is also the founder of Science Cheerleader, which promotes science literacy and citizen participation in science and science policy:

I think both of Darlene’s organizations might have additional resources suitable for getting children interested in science.

John Kwok said:

Well, I wonder if any of them will have a demonstration creating a universe or a life-form in an explosion. Unless they do, they can’t say it’s evidence for Darwinism.

Mr. Kwok–

The Holy Spirit has laid upon my heart a special burden for your soul. We know what you have been through. We understand that your good friend PZ Myers has been through the same thing as well and that was what brought you together. However, even with all of the trials and tribulations you have been through over the past few years you can still call upon Jesus who will always heal and forgive.

Better trolls, please.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

But that would be evidence for creationism. Isn’t you you guys who claim it all just magically appeared in an explosive puff of smoke? “POOF!” You keep telling us that this is so obvious that we’re pigheaded not to believe it, and now you call it ridiculous.

And how many times do we have to tell you? It’s “EVIL-utionism”!

Agreed:

SWT said:

Better trolls, please.

This troll reminds me of the two teenaged Ken Ham supporters I met on the New York City subway two Mondays ago (They were visiting from out of town on some Christian youth mission and one was wearing a Biola University sports jersey t-shirt.)

I am a Deist who operates functionally as an Atheist. Had two young Ken Ham supporters praying for me two Monday evenings ago as I exited a New York City subway train. I don’t need your prayers, troll.

Peace and Long Life (as a DI IDiot Borg drone),

John Kwok

John Kwok said:

Peace and Long Life (as a DI IDiot Borg drone),

John Kwok

Just Remember,

Jesus Loves You and so does Hygaboo!

I heard that from the two nimble-brained Ken Ham lovers on the subway nearly two weeks ago:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

John Kwok said:

Peace and Long Life (as a DI IDiot Borg drone),

John Kwok

Just Remember,

Jesus Loves You and so does Hygaboo!

But I don’t accept Jesus as my savior. I accept the Lord of Light, Lucifer.….. hehehehehehehahahahahahaha

Actually, Hy-on-something Anderson, big bang theory in isolation doesn’t “prove” the theory of evolution.

Mildly funny link, though. Far from Chick’s best, but not bad.

somehow, saying “all the science I ever knew I got from a Chick tract” doesn’t seem to be the best route to a Nobel prize – or even gainful employment to anything that resembles a career in the sciences.

Hygaboo Andersen said: [A lot of deranged nonsense.]

Go to hell, idiot.

Now WHAT was I saying about sledgehammers and flyswatters?

I must admit this one does seem to be a bit slow. He just cannot, it is just beyond him, to understand that the term is “EVIL-utionist!”

Agreed. I enthusiastically second your most astute observation:

Dale Husband said:

Hygaboo Andersen said: [A lot of deranged nonsense.]

Go to hell, idiot.

Congrats, DH, you have an endorsement.

Enjoy trolling, DH? You’re as bad as Tom Johnson IMHO. Certainly when you refuse to get right, certain details regarding the behavior of a certain evolutionary development biologist from the Midwest who has a most unhealthy obsession about me:

MrG said:

Congrats, DH, you have an endorsement.

Sorry MrG, you’re the delusional troll I am referring to, not DH:

John Kwok said:

MrG said:

Congrats, DH, you have an endorsement.

MrG said:

I’m going to have to remember that line.

Thank you, though I think I’ve done better.

MrG -

I believe that Hy-as-a-kite Andersen is probably a regular parody type who comes on here every once in a while with a different name. His stuff is a little juvenile but I find it amusing. He’ll keep it up until his url is banned and then reappear with a new name in a few weeks or months.

Remember Harold’s caveat to Poe’s Law -

Statistically speaking, anyone who honestly and openly mentions topics like hellfire and the Devil, references Chick tracts, and the like, and makes clear statements that can be unambiguously interpreted, is overwhelmingly likely to be a parody.

Anyone who uses exclusively uses double talk and weasel words and constantly tries to keep the conversation focused on what is wrong with evolution, rather than stating their own actual thesis, is unequivocally a true creationist.

The guy sounds like a teenager trying to be clever – the same sort of mindset involved in smashing pumpkins on Halloween – or a backwards adult who can’t be distinguished from one. Either way, I cannot personally rouse myself to any indignation on the matter.

You should have told them to pray for the trains.…while kneeling on the tracks.

MrG -

I’m in the minority here, but I view an occasional parody troll as harmless or even mildly beneficial.

This thread has gone somewhat awry from the initial post! This is a really good project that will benefit science education and I urge those who can to make a donation!

I just couldn’t do my best PZ Myers imitation, Karen S. They were just too cute and too vivacious, and, I suppose, in their own minds, sincere:

Karen S. said:

You should have told them to pray for the trains.…while kneeling on the tracks.

vhutchison said:

This thread has gone somewhat awry from the initial post!

Don’t they all.

Let’s use the language of that most self involved of fellows, Basil Fawlty. H. Anderson, you are a, “rancorous quafered old sow.” Basil was referring to Sybil, but H. Anderson will do:)

I have no idea what ‘rancorous’ or ‘quafered’ mean, or if they are even words, but they sound apt for a description of the inimitable Messrs Anderson, FL, or Robert Byars.

I think this is a fantastic idea and am grateful, given my experience with science here in Mt. Vernon, that there are those who will find ways to promote true science so that children can get excited about that it and become more proficient in that subject area.

I did have to chuckle, SA Smith, with your use of the word “album”. That truly dates those of us that know what that is! Lol!

@ seabiscuit -

Check out the links too that I posted here for Darlene Cavalier’s two organizations, Citizens for Science and Science Cheerleader, and also for the USA Science and Engineering Festival which is encouraging local participation, even though the festival itself will be held in DC (See my longer, more extensive post from yesterday in which I provide the USA Science and Engineering Festival link as well as those to Darlene’s two organizations.).

harold said:

Mildly funny link, though. Far from Chick’s best, but not bad.

I never said it was, but only that it was relevant to the relationship between PZ Myers and John Kwok and the unique spiritual issues they have.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

harold said:

Mildly funny link, though. Far from Chick’s best, but not bad.

Mind your own (moronic) business!

Has absolutely nothing to do between PZ and myself. Like Dale said, just mind your own business, creotard moron:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

harold said:

Mildly funny link, though. Far from Chick’s best, but not bad.

@ seabiscuit -

Here’s another fun, but potentially lucrative, way of having kids express their interest in science (Note that the deadline is August 31st, so you need to hurry.):

John Kwok said:

Now John, remember, Jesus Always Loves You, so there is no reason to be filled with such anger, just take care of the spiritual issues PZ and yourself are facing.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

You’re not really a creationist, are you? You’re just having some fun here. Carry on.

robert van bakel said:

(safire) Rancor comes from the same root as rancid, and according to the script it’s “coiffured” (which is more a Gil Dodgen trait (see AtBC for more on him)). (/safire)

You haven’t read the troll’s other posts where I haven’t been posting, have you? I think this one’s definitely a certified creotard, more likely a delusional DI IDiot Borg drone:

MrG said:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

I accept Kahless the unforgettable as my savior. If I need love, I will get it from Kahless:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

John Kwok said:

@ seabiscuit -

Just to get back on topic, here’s the link where you could organize a satellite event in OK - or anywhere else in the USA - that could be affiliated with the USA Science and Engineering Festival:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

John Kwok said:

So you are an anti-gay bigot too? “Ministries” like Exodus are scams which destroy lives by denying the true nature of homosexuality. There is nothing real about them. While some gays who are actually bisexual may be able to suppress their homosexuality, others who are purely gay cannot. You might as well ask them to commit suicide, you bastard!

MrG said:

vhutchison said:

This thread has gone somewhat awry from the initial post!

Don’t they all.

Considering this is a 100% serious post about getting kids excited about science, I thought you all could stfu and ignore Kwok for 30 goddamned seconds.

I was wrong.

Thanks, guys.

Which of course is exactly what I am trying to do:

ERV said: Considering this is a 100% serious post about getting kids excited about science

Now Smith if you have any good ideas other than teaching children to sing songs but instead, trying to get motivated in science in a more definitive fashion, may I suggest you start by contacting Darlene Cavalier at one of the websites I cited a few days ago, or think of organizing a satellite event in OK of the United States Engineering and Science Festival:

A suggestion, ERV.

1. Use the control panel to edit your post.

2. On that page there will be a link to edit all comments here. Click on it.

3. On the list of comments, click the checbox by all from Kwok.

4. Under “more actions”, select “move to bathroom wall”.

Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

Only in your most delusional dreams PZ. Why? Because I know several PZ administrators who would object strongly to your wish:

PZ Myers said:

A suggestion, ERV.

1. Use the control panel to edit your post.

2. On that page there will be a link to edit all comments here. Click on it.

3. On the list of comments, click the checbox by all from Kwok.

4. Under “more actions”, select “move to bathroom wall”.

Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

Anyone, I promised one of them that I would do my utmost not to provoke you, considering how much of a jerk you are. But what more can I expect from someone who has attacked Francisco J. Ayala for being a recipient of this year’s Templeton Prize and tolerated as a joke, a crude threat by one of your Pharyngulite acolytes last March to rape and to kill the Colgate Twins (you and Abbie know whom I am referring to). And of course there is your now classic observation posted on September 3, 2006 (If my memory is correct) over at Pharyngula in which you claimed that Ken Miller was a creationist.

And PZ I don’t think you have any right to judge me in light of this:

and this:

John Kwok said:

PZ Myers said:

A suggestion, ERV.

1. Use the control panel to edit your post.

2. On that page there will be a link to edit all comments here. Click on it.

3. On the list of comments, click the checbox by all from Kwok.

4. Under “more actions”, select “move to bathroom wall”.

Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

PZ Myers said:

Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

If you do that, Kwok can merely return to Facebook and attack you both there (I am linked to all three of you there and he does do that often already). I have already told him to create his own blog. Then he can bash you, ERV, and anyone else he wants and not worry about being banned.

In any case, this war has gone on long enough.

PZ Myers said: Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

Please.

Only in yours and PZ Myers’s dreams, delusional Pharyngulite:

MrG said:

PZ Myers said: Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

I know several PT admins would be strongly opposed to such a ban. And, as I noted before to PZ, I promised one of them that I wouldn’t go out of my way to provoke him.

Speaking of Facebook, I received an unsolicited e-mail from someone there, a woman, who thinks PZ is a nasty old man. Probably the best assessment I have read of him in ages.

Please.

i agree completely here, since PZ and Abbie ought to recognize who are the real enemies. It says much about PZ’s obsession - or is paranoia - about me that he would rather keep delusional creo trolls like Robert Byers posting at his PT blog entries, which I am regarded as persona non gratis. Really shows you how screwed up his priorities are:

Dale Husband said: In any case, this war has gone on long enough.

My unofficial blog are my Amazon.com reviews and I don’t have time to post there now, though you will be seeing posted reviews soon of two new novels from two of my favorite authors.

Edited for clarity:

John Kwok said:

Only in yours and PZ Myers’s dreams, delusional Pharyngulite:

MrG said:

PZ Myers said: Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

Please.

Then why are you breaking that promise by addressing P Z directly here and now? My patience with you is rapidly running out. Stop yourself before someone else stops you for good!

Kwock the Crock, as usual, pushes himself and his opinions, over and over. I am sure the program that he endorses is fine, but he is pushing it to an extreme - tiresome! This thread is about a specific and excellent project that deserves serious support and Kwok is trying to hijack it - again nothing unexpected from him from what I have seen over time on other blogs (e.g., Pharyngula). PZ has the right idea!

I apologize for the above comment for keeping this going, but I had to make a comment. Now, let us all follow Abbie’s advice on this thread - IGNORE KWOK FROM HERE ON!

I wake up this morning and what do I see. Yet another example of breathtaking inanity from a delusional Pharyngulite. Will wonders never cease. And oh yes, I have to thank you and your fellow Pharyngulites, including the great cephalopod lover himself, for hijacking this thread. I stopped by to provide links to several organizations which might be of use to Abbie Smith, but no, you had to visit merely to try to slime me:

vhutchison said:

I am not provoking PZ, Dale, but simply reminding others - if not him - of his unfortunate online - and elsewhere - behavior. Surely you can’t take lightly either the sad, but indisputable, facts that someone posted a threat to rape and to kill two prominent science bloggers at PZ’s blog back in March, and that within days, not only did PZ treat it as a joke, but also paraphrased it in yet another online diatribe against the Roman Catholic Church. I would be provoking PZ if I opted to issue yet another threat demanding that he buy me expensive Leica photographic equipment (which, once more, I will only admit it that I did it to provoke him. I was never serious in having him honor my demand.):

Dale Husband said:

Edited for clarity:

John Kwok said:

Only in yours and PZ Myers’s dreams, delusional Pharyngulite:

MrG said:

PZ Myers said: Maybe we should lobby th PT admins to ban Kwok altogether.

Please.

This page contains a single entry by SA Smith published on July 23, 2010 4:00 PM.

No metazoan is an island was the previous entry in this blog.

It’s more than genes, it’s networks and systems is the next entry in this blog.