Futurama: Evolution under Attack

Since Comedy Central took Futurama from Adult Swim, I have boycotted watching Futurama on Comedy Central. (Adult Swim is the reason why Futurama lives.) That may have to change.

FuturamaThursdays 10pm / 9c
Preview - Evolution Under Attack
www.comedycentral.com
Futurama New EpisodesRoast of David HasselhoffIt's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

A cameo by the FSM. High-class FUTURAMA is not, but I can never restain myself from laughing: President Nixon’s Head awarding Bender the highest award for swindling – “THE DIRTY DOUBLE CROSS!”

“Wozniak Nerd Academy!”

Read my lips, No new taxonomies!

On reading that I had to go back and check the signs: “FAKE SCIENCE IS REAL SCIENCE!”

while i agree that AS saved Futurama, and grew it, it was not Comedy Central that took them away, as far as I know. They lost that contract well before CC got the show and additional episodes were ordered.

Futurama is one of the best animated shows ever made, and ya shouldn’t miss it…

Good news, everyone!

It’s still wrong to watch Futurama on anything but Adult Swim.

Reed A. Cartwright said:

It’s still wrong to watch Futurama on anything but Adult Swim.

Don’t you like South Park? I’d rather have South Park on Adult Swim and Futurama on Comedy Central.

The episode was replete with an creationist orangutan arguing gap theory, and a cameo by an incredulous Flying Spaghetti Monster arguing that there was no way that he evolved from a simpler, ground based, plate of rigatoni,and an impassioned speech by a Sarah Palin type who declares “I don’t understand evolution and I want to protect my children from understanding it. Down with the thinkers!!”

Freakin’ hilarious.

stevaroni said: Clearly, someone on the writing staff is pretty familiar with the anti-evolution shtick.

I can assure you, writers for shows like the Simpsons and Futurama are normally ivy league, typically Harvard. Futurama especially has several holders of physics/math degrees turned writers. Quite a serious nerd staff who follow developments of evolution, climate change and Quantum theory

Dale Husband said:

Don’t you like South Park?

Not really. I stopped being interested in it because every show became a social commentary. The “who are we better than this week” shtick got old and boring. Give me Squidbillies over South Park any day.

Squidbillies! Now there’s quality entertainment!

Unfortunately, for those of us who are not USAnians, all we get is a black box saying “Sorry, Videos are not currently available in your country.”

rossum

rossum said:

rossum

boo! I say, boo!

The reason that the new Futurama episodes aren’t good has nothing to do with the brand name ‘Comedy Central’ or ‘Adult Swim’. There is a completely noticeable difference in the writing now. Comedy Central seems to be pumping their “Drawn Together” / “Ugly Americans” hack writers into the veins of a once great show. Those two shows were horrible, and made all jokes both overly explained, and overly predictable. I really want to like the new episodes, but I just don’t.

Good night sweet prince.

Show of hands: how many initially read the title as “Futuyma: Evolution under attack”? Or am I overly sensitive to the names of evolutionary biologists?

I thought it was excellent, except for the lame, compromise ending.

I was wondering about that myself…

I can’t get it in my country do you know a solution.

I can’t get it in my country do you know a solution.

*arrr matey*

.…pirate bay.…

rossum said:

rossum

YouTube has become notorious for censoring videos under the bogus guise of copyright infringement. If anyone makes a copyright claim about a video that is made, it is often pulled without allowing the maker of the video to defend himself. That’s not a logical legal standard at all, but tyranny.

Dale Husband said: YouTube has become notorious for censoring videos under the bogus guise of copyright infringement.

Except that this isn’t YouTube, it’s an official preview hosted directly by Comedy Central.

In any case, I can see it just fine, and I’m nowhere near North America. Not only that, I tried setting myself up through various proxy servers around the world and had no trouble from any country I tried, including places like Turkey and Egypt. I’m curious to know what countries are being blocked.

Japanther said:

Good night sweet prince.

Unfortunately, the above poster did not do the research I’d expect of most readers of this site.

A simple tool, in fact, exists: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149460/episodes

compare this to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386180[…]dits#writers (Drawn Together)

Note, that the writers, including several staff writers from FOX, are also writers of various other programs, include award-winning 30Rock and Simpsons. They authors below include writers on several award-winning or acclaimed episodes (such as “Where No Fan Has Gone Before” and “The Devil’s Hands are Idle Playthings”) and shows consistency throm throughout the series, with much the writing done by Matt Groening and David Cohen themselves.

Matt Groening and David X. Cohen are both granted credit for writing all 98 episodes, either as an honor or as active, effective writers and editors, as well as all three made-for-tv/dvd movies Eric Horsted (9 episodes, 3rd Movie) Brian Kelley (1 episode) Justin Adler (6 episodes, “staff writer”) Matt Karis (6 episodes, “staff writer”) Jeff Westerbrook (43 episodes, “staff writer”) Bill Odenkirk (5 episodes) Aaron Ehasz (13 episodes, “staff writer”) Kristin Gore (31 episodes, “staff writer”) Ron Weiner (4 episodes) J. Stewart Burns (7 episodes) David Goodman (1 episode) Mirsky (18 episodes, “staff writer”) Patric M. Verone (8 episodes) Carolyn Premish (s6e2)

Next time, please look up your stuff before spouting off (certainly an example of where “gut” doesn’t supercede “brain”).

Ah, the sight of the Flying Spaghetti Monster warmed my heart!

My favorite part of the episode was Farnsworth summing up the debate and the picture of the fossil he’d discovered riding a dinosaur with “I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.”

Dale Husband said:

Comedy Central constantly restrains South Park from it’s creators’ creativity. Adult Swim is one of the last bastions of freedom within corporate cable. Metalocalypse, Venture Brothers, and Robot Chicken, Sea Lab… All awesome in my book. Even if you don’t like them, at least they’re original.

Dale Husband replied to comment from rossum | August 14, 2010 9:42 PM | Reply | Edit

rossum said:

rossum

It may not be logical, but it is a legal standard. It’s what sites like Youtube are required to do under the DMCA.

You must be kidding, John. That thought never occurred to me:

John Harshman said:

Agreed. Didn’t see the episode, but this trailer was hilarious:

stevaroni said:

Freakin’ hilarious.

Maybe it was written somewhere on this blog but i missed the actual title of this episode or episode number so i can watch out for it. I missed it on the first run, but maybe tivo can catch it on the re-runs.

Marschal Fazio said:

Never mind I found it!

Season 7 Episode 9: A Clockwork origin

Marschal Fazio said: I missed it on the first run, but maybe tivo can catch it on the re-runs.

Marschal,

You might also web search for it. A lot of series now allow you to watch episodes via the web after they air (with imbedded commercials, of course…)

That show sucked hard six or seven years ago and apparently it sucks even harder now.

Registered User said: Really, that was the most unfunny and unclever take on anti-evolutionists that I’ve seen in quite a while.

I do have to concede that creationists are unlikely to laugh at it: “FAKE SCIENCE IS REAL SCIENCE!”

Really? You boycotted watching a great show because of what network it’s on? So you’re willing to let it die another death just because it’s not on the now-horrible Adult Swim? AS was great back in the day, but don’t f*ck up a great show by boycotting it being on a now better network.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

Evolution is as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great imagination.

henry said:

Evolution is as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great imagination.

Yawn… So, Henry, same question as last time. Ya bring any actual evidence this time or did you just drop in again to whine?

stevaroni said:

henry said:

Evolution is as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great imagination.

I have a question for you. When do you think science will extend man’s lifespan to 1000 years, surpassing the 900 + years described in Genesis?

henry said:

stevaroni said:

henry said:

Evolution is as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great imagination.

Probably never, but so what? Unlike you, we beleive in Truth in Advertising, so we do not claim science is either infallible or omnipotent. But its track record is still more reliable than religious mythology.

You let henry slip a lie past you. Those ages are not “described” in Genesis - they are only given, or claimed, or noted. No details whatsoever are mentioned. No cause is given. There is never the slightest attempt at describing what a man was like who lived twice, thrice, four times a human lifespan. Enormous age was considered an unalloyed blessing, proof of the favour of God.

The Greeks were wiser. Their story was of Gerontius, who requested eternal life of the gods, and was granted it. But he had asked for life, not youth, and so he got older, and older, and older, and older, in pain, infirmity and misery, and could not die.

Fundies today try to pretend that the reasons for the lifespans claimed for the patriarchs in Genesis are any but the most probable one - that those stories about legendary figures claimed those ages simply to emphasise how much greater the heroes were than the humans of their own day. Most likely nobody ever took it literally, before the fundies themselves.

Dave Luckett said:

You got it right on the Genesis part. I’m wondering about Gerontius. I’ve never heard of him, although his name, “Old Man,” would be an appropriate one. Do you have a source for the myth? It sounds like that of Tithonus, the lover of the Dawn goddess Eos. She asked Zeus to grant him eternal life, with the same results.

Nick (Matzke) said:

Squidbillies! Now there’s quality entertainment!

“DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!”

Dave Luckett said:

According to my calculations, for 1556 years, 6 men were noted living past 900 years prior to the Flood. Noah was the only one who lived past 900 years after the Flood.

Noah’s son Shem lived 600 years, but the lifespans rapidly decreased. After two centuries, the lifespans were reduced to 200 years.

What happened to the Flying Lasagna Monster? No common descent from the Great Pasta Monster ?

henry said:

Who gives a crap about your stupid calculations? It’s like, what, the weight of your bellybutton lint times your height, divided by whatever your spiritual handlers tell you think.

You’re not a Biblical scholar, and you repeatedly demonstrate that you have a kindergartner’s grasp of logic, and a preschooler’s grasp of science.

henry said: According to Genesis, the environment was radically changed so that it was no longer possible to live 900 + years. Maybe, if scientists can reproduce that same environment, we can have very long lifespans again.

No, we scientists don’t believe your hypothesis. We don’t think it even has value as a line of inquiry. If, OTOH, you really honestly do, put your money where your mouth is and test it yourself. Stick yourself or your kids in a high pressure chamber for the next 30 years and see if it slows the rate at which you age. Heck, do it with a lab rat. Or some fruit flies. Or an e coli colony.

But the point is, test your own hypothesis before you expect anyone else to buy it. That’s the way science works, and you don’t get a pass on it. If you want people to pay attention to your idea, you have to do some of the ground work. No one’s going to do it for you and no one’s going to include your claptrap in a science class until you do.

Maybe the years were just very, very short back then.

By the way, when Ussher ran his calculations did he correct for the phenomenally long lifespans of yore?

This page contains a single entry by Reed A. Cartwright published on August 12, 2010 8:56 PM.

Casey Luskin: the new Wendell Bird? was the previous entry in this blog.

Photography Contest: Finalists, Threatened or Endangered is the next entry in this blog.