Happy National Fossil Day!

| 83 Comments | 1 TrackBack

Today, October 13th, is the very first National Fossil Day!

The National Park Service and the American Geological Institute are partnering to host the first National Fossil Day on October 13, 2010 during Earth Science Week. National Fossil Day is a celebration organized to promote public awareness and stewardship of fossils, as well as to foster a greater appreciation of their scientific and educational value.

This year’s Earth Science Week toolkit includes a “Fossils of the National Parks” poster, featuring a map showing more than 230 parks managed by the National Park Service that contain fossils. The poster also includes a “How to be a Paleontologist” classroom activity.

Fossils discovered on the nation’s public lands preserve ancient life from all major eras of Earth’s history, and from every major group of animal or plant. In the national parks, for example, fossils range from primitive algae found high in the mountains of Glacier National Park, Montana, to the remains of ice-age animals found in caves at Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. Public lands provide visitors with opportunities to interpret a fossil’s ecological context by observing fossils in the same place those animals and plants lived millions of years ago.

National Fossil Day activities will also highlight fossil fuels to correlate with this year’s Earth Science Week theme, “Exploring Energy” (http://www.earthsciweek.org/).

National Fossil Day is being promoted through partnerships with professional organizations, government agencies, and other groups. Representatives from National Earth Science Teachers Association and Paleontological Research Institution are assisting with planning for National Fossil Day.

On October 13, paleontologists and park rangers will share fossil discoveries at special events nationwide and explain the importance of preserving fossils where they are found, so that everyone can share a sense of discovery!

Join in the celebration of National Fossil Day today!

1 TrackBack

A Tribute to Noah from A Natural Evolution on October 14, 2010 9:57 AM

Our southern neighbors have chosen today as National Fossil Day, part of Earth Sciences Week, established by the American Geological Institute to “…help the public gain a better understanding and appreciation for the Earth Sciences and to e... Read More

Any bets on how long before Byers or FL check in with a “Fossils were created by Satan” or “Dinosaur fossils were deposited by Noah’s Flood” rant?

Paul Burnett said:

If/when they do, everyone feel free to cut and paste my reply:

“That’s nice, now go convince that evolution-denier Steve P. of your conclusions, or stop pretending that your objection is over the science.”

If Steve P. shows up first, just change the name to FL and Byers.

We old fossils enjoy being celebrated now and then. :-)

SPEAKING OF FOSSILS how about retiring that old fossil, Darwinism? After all, it is a 19th century idea! Obviously a product of its time and also the father of racism! Also, I heard that fossils are the preserved, mineralized remains bones. Hmmm, what sort of Satanic celebration takes place in October and involves skeletons…? I smell an pagan atheist plot to indoctrinate our children into Baal worship and human sacrifice! Just more proof that our Christian government has been hijacked by infidels!

Also send me money plz.

More on the interesting story of fossils and changing worldviews in honor of National Fossil Day… http://shethought.com/2010/10/13/tr[…]former-life/

Paul Burnett said:

Yeah, they’ll probably have a bone to pick.

Wheels said:

Also send me money plz.

I could not agree more. It’s been over one hundred and fifty years. Why refer to it as Darwinism. We have come so much farther that Darwin could have ever dreamed. The theory still rests on his shoulders, but it has grown to be so much more that he could have ever imagined. And besides, it’s not a belief system, it is a body of evidence, it is a time tested theory, it is real science, not just someone’s opinion.

I believe the ever youthful, and lovely Ann Coulter coined the term ‘darwiniacs’. I don’t want to be churlish but the terms ‘chritianism’, and ‘christiniacs’, could cause the thin skins of these religionist persons to be knicked. Childish I know, but then dealing with persons whom deny their senses one should speak as if to a child; no?

The use of “Darwinism” reveals the user as both ignorant and at a loss of arguments. Even if “ID creationism” might be the proper reference, I use just ID. Most people know that ID is some kind of creationism anyway. Whereas Big Tent Creationists to a large extent doesn’t know better than to use “Darwinism.”

Paul Burnett said:

The best one I ever heard was on FSTDT.com several months back. Someone was revealing their suspicions that Darwinists aren’t finding fossils but carving them out of the stone!

When I was in cubscouts, we camped at an area near lake Huron. I must have found hundreds of fossils on that beach. I still got a bunch of them. They are just clams of somesort. But its very obvious to anyone who has at least that much experience how claims of Satan, or carving or whatever just aren’t that convincing.

Having a chance to show more people fossils sounds like a good idea to me. Besides making creationists harder to believe.…it was very interesting.

If dinosaurs are extinct, why are fossils still alive?

Dumb evilooshunists…

Amadan said:

If dinosaurs are extinct, why are fossils still alive?

Dumb evilooshunists…

Yeah, they must have rocks in their heads… (The fossils’ heads, that is.)

Leszek said:

Paul Burnett said:

Where on Lake Huron?, if I may ask. I grew up two miles from the lake near Port Austin MI. There used to be a railroad that went into town. The tie bed was gravel from some local quarry. I could find a fossil on it every few feet. Only bothered with the ones that were fist sized or larger. The ones I found on the tracks were mostly resembled giant snails with the standard spiral shell, or the twisted conical shell. Gave my collection to my high school biology teacher. As an adult I went back and wanted to collect more and study them, but the railroad had long since been torn up and the bed overgrown.

MememicBottleneck said:

Leszek said:

Paul Burnett said:

It was the Pinary. Its on the Canadian side. The fossils I got are all smaller. On the order of an inch or so. They look like clams that more or less are shaped like Napolians hat. They are very common, at least in the area.

Leszek said:

MememicBottleneck said:

Leszek said:

Paul Burnett said:

Too bad you can’t edit a post. I got curious. Turns out they are :mucrospirifer mucronatus and they are from the devonian.

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=e[…]amp;gs_rfai= (google images)

My MS and PhD research primarily used Foraminifera, single celled planktonic and benthic critters that make shells of calcite (CaCO3). Most of them are well under 1 mm in size. Amazingly complex and often beautiful, and present by the billions in sediments from the ocean floor. Coccolithophorids, Radiolaria, and Diatoms are similarly sized and equally abundant (although the diatom and radiolaria shells are opal rather than calcite). Can’t remember how far back they go, but it’s at least 100 million years.

I’d love to ask that jackass who said that they were carved, “who did it, when, and how?”

Leszek said:

Paul Burnett said:

Also, for many of the calcite fossils, not only from microfossils but from molluscs and other critters such as your brachiopods (mucrospirifer), the fine crystalline structure of the shells are often preserved. LOVE to ask the jackass how that was carved.

GvlGeologist, FCD said:

The “science” of making the carving tools falls into the category of Honey, I shrunk the kids.

GvlGeologist, FCD said:

I went and found the quote. Interesting enough I didn’t find it on FSTDT but I managed to find it here http://www.christianforums.com/t7287190/ (Christian Forums)

Fossils are fake Did anyone ever think of this? Why do you think it takes so long to dig up fossils? They seriously spend years chipping away rock to get one piece of bone. Maybe it’s because they’re ACTUALLY CARVING THE FOSSILS OUT OF STONE. Fossils are just carved stone. They were not already there. The scientists created them out of nothing.

If you just leave bones lying on the ground, which is how they are left when something dies, they do not fossilize. After years they get broken and smashed, water washes away all the calcium, and nothing is left. Fossils are just another myth to promote evolution and deny the reality of God’s work.

The tag shows this creationist specimen is an 18 year old female.

Its obvious she just has no idea. Like I said if she had found them on the beach or been exposed to them via fossil day activities, she would realize just how hopeless this idea actually is.

The hilarious part of the “fossils are carved” argument is that there ARE a few fake fossils out there. Created, of course, by lying creationists.

Paul Burnett said:

When they use Devil’s Toenails as evidence the fossils were created by Satan, please don’t headbutt your keyboard in fustration.

Rolf Aalberg said:

Thanks! I stopped using “Darwinism” in 1999, except in quotes to mock anti-evolution activists. Unfortunately, as you know, many critics of ID/creationism insist on using it, even though they know that the actvists use it in a very different sense (as an “ism”, which evolution is anything but). We simply can’t afford that.

Yeah, Darwin was after all just one guy, even if more successful than most. If he hadn’t published when he did, somebody else would have done so within a few years of that. Plus, even if nobody figured it out before genetics was developed, that would have generated the current theory, simply because current knowledge of how genetics works would predict evolution even if it hadn’t already been known. (That BTW was one of the confirmations of the theory - if it were wrong, genetics would probably have shown that, instead.)

First its not about the fossils but the interpretations from the fossils that is being celebrated. Second. The fossils don’t preserve ancient life. they preserve casts of former life. The ancient is not based on the casts but on a different subject called geology. This subject makes the claims about the age of the creation of the sediment and life within it when it died. Not when turned to stone of coarse as that requires more time. They say.

In fact this is a good case for creationism in its claims that the conclusions of biological origins from evolution by way of mutations/selection is in reality GREATLY or LARGELY(to be liberal) founded on a separate study called geology. Without the geology the biology fails. Therefore not only is this a rare case in subjects claiming to be scientific (that one subject is dependent on another) but it undermines that it even employs the scientific process . Fossils are a very trivial point in regards to biological life. Only a presumption of ToE gives them meaning. This presumption is dependent on the geology claims behind the fossil.

A good case here for thinking people to examine why a theory of biology is depended on another theory of another subject. Therefore ToE as biology is not making the case on biology. There is no case. Good thread here.

what

a

nutter.

“A good case here for thinking people to examine why a theory of biology is depended on another theory of another subject. “

Gee, I never thought of that!!! Sciences that overlap and reinforce each other. Whoda thunk?

Geeez, Robert, your understanding of science is simply pathetic.

OK, just a little feeding:

Robert Byers Wrote:

Funny, most other YECs (if indeed you are one) seem to think that a global Flood gives fossils plenty of meaning. While the one anti-evolution activist who thinks (or pretends to think) that the fossils are irrelavant is Michael Behe, whom you know has conceded that life is billions of years old and that you and I share common ancestors with the organisms who left behind those fossils.

Sounds like you have lots to debate about with both YECs and IDers.

Frank J said: OK, just a little feeding:

FJ, isn’t strange how hard it is to resist responding to zeroes?

I have the same urge at times. Fortunately, after a time my brain recognizes that a troll’s postings make absolutely no real sense and refuses to parse them, simply passing them on as incoherent assemblies of phrases.

mrg:

I think a little feeding is good to alert lurkers of the games that the trolls play. Besides, the trolls rarely reply to my comments, so if anything I discourage them from hijacking threads.

For the serious fossil addicts, check out Tyndall® Stone, late Ordovician dolomitic limestone, Selkirk Member of the Red River Formation. It is quarried in Garson, Manitoba, 37 km northeast of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The fossil-rich rock has been used extensively on buildings in Winnipeg, also in Saskatoon and Regina in Saskatchewan, and other cities in western Canada. Also used in the Canadian embassy in Washington, D.C.

University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon has a lot of it, especially in the Geology Building. TCU (Teachers Credit Union) bank has a lot, even a specially designed fossil wall inside for teachers to take their students on a fossil field trip.

Links:

Paul Burnett said:

Robert Byers said: The fossils don’t preserve ancient life. they preserve casts of former life.

But only since 4004 BC, right? In your worldview, is it possible that there are fossils “preserv(ing) casts of former life” older than 4004 BC? If so, how old?

Off point. but no. The only casts are from the biblical flood and later events. no mechanisms to fossilize before the flood or would anything remain after the chaos.

again. biological conclusions can not be made by geological study and claim to be from biology. chuck Darwin himself said the Toe should be not studied if one did not already accept the geology conclusions. He was right. ToE flaw is its based on geology ideas for evidence and biological evidence is hardly involved.

Just Bob said:

What’s the consensus on Hygaboo–Poe or for real? If she’s for real, there’s no better demonstration of the validity of Poe’s Law.

I assumed it was tongue in cheek when I first read it…but what do I know?

–W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Robert Byers said:

Paul Burnett said:

And where in the Bible does it specifically state that fossils are magically petrified leftovers of the Flood?

Then again, why should we believe you, Robert Byers, when you know absolutely nothing about Science, to begin with?

again. biological conclusions can be made by geological study and are still from biology. Darwin himself said the Toe should be studied since one has to accept the geology conclusions. He was right. ToE is its based on geology ideas for evidence and biological evidence is also involved.

Mike Elzinga said:

Man we work hard to deceive. I break a sweat just thinking about it.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

Ah. Inconvenient fossils are BAD SCIENCE and convenient (or at least untroublesome) fossils are GOOD SCIENCE.

I have to add, HA, that I am not under any mistaken impression you are being serious.

Hygaboo Andersen said: I should have been more spevific. It is only those fossils like Tiktaalik and Archaeopteryx and other evolutionary farces deemed “trasitional” that are certain to be fake. The fossils on the top of Mount Everest and the Andes are real. They show evolutionism is a lie by proving the reality of the Genesis Flood. There is no other explanation other than a global flood covering the mountaintops why they are there.

Okay…NOW I agree that we’ve got another creationist troll.

–W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

W. H. Heydt said:

Okay…NOW I agree that we’ve got another creationist troll.

Yeah, is this the same HA noted for his X-rated postings? It reads like Byers copying his handle.

Hygaboo Andersen said: blockquote> Mike Elzinga said:

There are all those fossils at the top of Mt. Everest, up in the Andes, down deep in coal mines, and the ones that pop out of the weathered rocks in the Great Rift Valley, the Grand Canyon and the remote, inhospitable regions of China. < Then there are those found by the ancient Greeks. We had to go back in time to plant those. Imagine the technology involved.

Man we work hard to deceive. I break a sweat just thinking about it.

Um, no. Before Neil Shubin found Tiktaalik, he found transitional reptile-to-mammal fossils in– road cuts. So, who faked those fossils? The construction teams? Also, if the surface of the earth is static, how come it keeps moving?

hmm. Block quote fail. Only the last paragraph about Neil Shubin is mine.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

Mike Elzinga said:

Man we work hard to deceive. I break a sweat just thinking about it.

Can you provide actual evidence that fossils of transitional forms, like Archaeopteryx, Tiktaalik, Ichthyostega, Acanthostega, all of the ceratopsian fossils between Xuanhuasaurus and Triceratops, all of the horse fossils, and all of the hominid fossils are magically convenient fakes?

Oh, wait, no, you can’t because you’re just blowing out your pompous ass.

Please go away, Hygaboo Anderson, you’re less funny and less pleasant than a root canal with a dab of lidocaine on my doctor’s toe.

This flood, it covered the Himalayas and the whole of the rest of the Earth, right? So the floodwater was about five and a half miles deeper than the present sea level. Lessee, the surface area of the Earth, (4pi.r^2) is about 201068800 square miles, times 5.5 - so that’s 1.1x10^9 cubic miles of water, not counting what was already in the oceans at the time of this flood.

The total volume of water in the Earth’s oceans today is roughly 3.1x10^8 cubic miles.

I wonder where it all came from? I wonder where it all went to?

(channels creonut) God poofed it all into existence and then made it disappear again when He calmed down.

Well, it’s good to get that cleared up. Gosh, gee, is that the time?

Dave Luckett said:

… So, the Flood added about three times as much water to the planet - above and beyond what already existed then - as that which exists in the oceans today.

I wonder where it all came from? I wonder where it all went to?

Well, it’s good to get that cleared up. Gosh, gee, is that the time?

Don’t be silly, Dave – you know there was no “poofing” involved. The ancient text tells us that the water came from the springs of the Deep (below the earth) and through the Floodgates of Heaven (above the firmament). Obviously, the water drained back into the Deep.

I’m guessing the water is now in huge tanks sited next to the storehouses of hail and snow …

Why would an omnipotent god NEED a flood to get rid of the folks he doesn’t like? Especially when it results in the extinction and near-extinction of every terrestrial species. It’s like killing a mosquito on your friend’s neck with a shotgun.

Mountains were a lot shorter back then. ;)

Hygaboo Andersen said:

But ALL fossils are transitional between some form and another. Can you name a single fossil that is NOT a transitional form at some cladistic level?

he fossils on the top of Mount Everest and the Andes are real.

what about the fossils geologists use to figure out where best to drill for oil?

there are certainly good transitional sequences there.

are those fake?

is the oil fake?

have we been driving our cars on wishes and farts?

If so, maybe we have underestimated the role methane plays in global warming…

Hmm, I see another NSF grant in my near future!

It’s like killing a mosquito on your friend’s neck with a shotgun.

say now, I think only Dick Cheney can use that as a defense.

Hygaboo Andersen said:

So sorry…Tiktaalik and Archaeopteryx are most certainly and most demostrably real. Weven better is the concept that Tiktaalik was found based on substantive analyses of geologic information and the predictions enabled by such analyses. In other words, application of the princples and methodologies of science resulted in the discovery of Tiktaalik.

And oddly enough, creationist “science” had absolutely nothing to do with that discovery. Why? Well, perhaps because creationist “science” can not predict its way out of a paper bag.

the fun thing was, it was much MORE than that!

it was a prediction not only based on what we knew about geology, but also about the last 50 years of developmental biology, molecular biology, and of course, evolutionary biology.

I still am glad Shubin made a book out of that experience; he did an excellent job of explaining how that one single example relates back to just about everything we have learned in biology, and ties it in a neat little bow.

one I would in fact, recommend to our ignorant poster, but I’m not sure reading is their *thing*.

just in case, though:

Oclarki said:

Hygaboo Andersen said:

Lies, excuses, evasions– it never ends. Creationism does to your morals what cigarettes do to your lungs. It’s just rot, rot, rot, all the way.

Oh neat! Now I noticed in the article it stated “Fossils discovered on the nation’s public lands preserve ancient life from all major eras of Earth’s history, and from every major group of animal or plant.”

Thats pretty neat. Question though, does this also contain life discovered from other planets with animal or plant life?

“It’s so ironic – creationists claim that believing in evolution will deteriorate our moral values. But look what happens to *their* moral values, when they try to defend creationism. First, it’s “all fossils are faked.” Then, when people present clear evidence fossils couldn’t be faked, it’s “oh, I meant *transitional* fossils.” And, of course, the only fossils that a “real” are on top of the Andes or Mount Everest– where hardly any people can check out the evidence. Then they claim that the biblical flood is the “only” explanation–conveniently leaving out all the research on plate tectonics. Neat, little lie of omission there.”

Isn’t that the truth. Aren’t you guys doing your job as activists in the area of bettering job expulsion of anybody whom mentions the word..”*expletive* Design” from their jobs than you are now! Remember the Kansas case. And Roe vs. Wade! If anything, thats what Creationism is really all about!

This page contains a single entry by Dave Thomas published on October 13, 2010 10:14 AM.

Pelecanus occidentalis was the previous entry in this blog.

Don’t Make a Monkey out of Me is the next entry in this blog.