Pelecanus occidentalis

| 34 Comments

Photograph by Richard Duhrkopf.

Photography contest, Honorable Mention.

Duhrkopf.Brown_Pelican.jpg

Pelecanus occidentalis – brown pelican, Galveston Bay, Texas.

34 Comments

What a strange bird is the pelican…

Henry J said:

What a strange bird is the pelican…

What is odd is that pelicans are so awkward on the ground, while so elegant in flight.

What a strange bird is the pelican…

I think Mr. J is thinking of this poem:

A wonderful bird is a pelican,

His bill will hold more than his belican.

He can take in his beak

Food enough for a week;

But I’m damned if I see how the helican.

It is often attributed to Ogden Nash, who probably gets as many misattributions as Mark Twain, but it was in fact written by Dixon Lanier Merritt. I have no idea who he was.

Well, I had the gist of the first two lines of it, anyway. lol

Great photo of a beautiful pelican.

Matt Young said: (The “Pelican” poem) was in fact written by Dixon Lanier Merritt. I have no idea who he was.

Dixon Lanier Merritt (1879 – 1972), poet, humorist, newspaper editor for the Nashville Tennessean, President of the American Press Humorists Association, founding member of the Tennessee Ornithological Society, President of the Society of American Press Humorists…interesting guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Lanier_Merritt

An elegant glider, for all their ungainy appearance. I love watching them glide in echelon along the coast, skimming in and out of the troughs of breakers. Usually accompanied by a few hopeful and opportunistic gulls, too.

A squad of pelicans, gliding down the beach in formation, always makes me think that’s what Pteranodon must have looked like.

Great picture! Beautiful! I live on Galveston Island. You can see plenty of these as well as dolphins while riding the Galveston Ferry to Port Bolivar. They are beautiful to watch while they are diving into the water catching small fish… they are indeed a sight to see!

The tree of life website has a section on pelicans - http://tolweb.org/Pelecanus/26329

But why does pelecanus have an e where pelican has an i?

Abstract Evolutionary biology owes much to Charles Darwin, whose discussions of common descent and natural selection provide the foundations of the discipline. But evolutionary biology has expanded well beyond its foundations to encompass many theories and concepts unknown in the 19th century. The term “Darwinism” is, therefore, ambiguous and misleading. Compounding the problem of “Darwinism” is the hijacking of the term by creationists to portray evolution as a dangerous ideology—an “ism”—that has no place in the science classroom. When scientists and teachers use “Darwinism” as synonymous with evolutionary biology, it reinforces such a misleading portrayal and hinders efforts to present the scientific standing of evolution accurately. Accordingly, the term “Darwinism” should be abandoned as a synonym for evolutionary biology.

I agree that it reinforces such a misleading portrayal an dhinders efforts to present the scientific standing of evolution accurately! A little bit of revisionism is necessary for this theory to work.

I have a plan for revisionism that will save Darwinism as we know it today from ever becoming extinct as a fact.

Would anybody like to hear it?

faith4flipper said:

Would anybody like to hear it?

No.

But I thought Scientific inquiry was open to…um, inquiry?

faith4flipper said:

But I thought Scientific inquiry was open to…um, inquiry?

Except that this is not the appropriate forum for Scientific Inquiry.

Scientific Inquiry means that you codify and explain your data and observations in a report, and then offer it to a scientific journal to be peer reviewed by other scientists before scientists and editors decide to have it published.

Having said that, the fact that you use the phrase “going extinct as a fact” makes me extremely leery of the quality of your writing. I’m sorry, but, it reeks of factless sensationalism.

Furthermore, exactly how and what does “saving Darwinism from going extinct as a fact” (sic) have specifically to do with the pelican species Pelecanus occidentalis, the topic of this thread?

Well, my work is all ready for a peer reviewed journal, where the Science god people can read it. I was hoping maybe you could see what you thought of it before I turned it in.

Well…I wasn’t sure of what most of these comments had to do with the Pelecanus Occidentalis to begin with, but its quite interesting that I do like the comment about dolphins. The dolphin actually has a lot to do with the peer review that I wish to submit to the biggest peer reviewed journal in the world so that like minded individuals like myself can be sure that it moves into the realm of Science without any problems.

faith4flipper said:

Well, my work is all ready for a peer reviewed journal, where the Science god people can read it. I was hoping maybe you could see what you thought of it before I turned it in.

I’m sorry, but I’m not trying to be mean-spirited when I say this, but, using the term “Science god people” is probably going to doom your efforts to failure.

It suggests that you aren’t putting any effort into studying Science, nor are bothering seeing past the inaccurate stereotypes anti-science and other anti-intellectual groups use to malign Science and scientists. I mean, really, do you honestly think that Evolutionary biologists call themselves “Darwinists,” or that scientists worship a “Science god”?

Even your phrase “going extinct as a fact” strongly suggests you do not know what the definition of a fact is.

And then there is the fact that the commenters here don’t appreciate you hijacking this thread solely for your own self-promotion. Among other things, it’s impolite.

Stanton said:

faith4flipper said:

Well, my work is all ready for a peer reviewed journal, where the Science god people can read it. I was hoping maybe you could see what you thought of it before I turned it in.

I’m sorry, but I’m not trying to be mean-spirited when I say this, but, using the term “Science god people” is probably going to doom your efforts to failure.

It suggests that you aren’t putting any effort into studying Science, nor are bothering seeing past the inaccurate stereotypes anti-science and other anti-intellectual groups use to malign Science and scientists. I mean, really, do you honestly think that Evolutionary biologists call themselves “Darwinists,” or that scientists worship a “Science god”?

Even your phrase “going extinct as a fact” strongly suggests you do not know what the definition of a fact is.

And then there is the fact that the commenters here don’t appreciate you hijacking this thread solely for your own self-promotion. Among other things, it’s impolite.

Stanton, remind you of any one we know? Perhaps it’s a new personality inside him.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

John Vanko said:

Stanton, remind you of any one we know? Perhaps it’s a new personality inside him.

Could be.

Developing a persona stupid enough to not be able to copy and paste surprises me, even.

And faith4flippers, before you continue this “conversation,” it would be best if you first finished middle school, started and completed high school, and then begin taking some college-level science courses. As it stands, what you’ve spouted so far would make even a Saturday morning cartoon villain weep with embarrassment.

Please do not feed the Flipper troll. I will move further comment by or about it to the bathroom wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

The bathroom wall does contain some funny comments. While its certainly entertaining, I’d like to know where I can go to discuss real science with real Scientists whom won’t try to block all of the wonderful ideas that Science has to offer the wonderful theory of Evolution. Does anyone know such a place?

Matt Young said:

Please do not feed the Flipper troll. I will move further comment by or about it to the bathroom wall.

Matt,

Do you have the ability to see if Flipper is another incarnation of IBelieveInGod?

IBIG clogged up the Bathroom Wall, making it unusable. I’m shut down.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

This comment has been moved to The Bathroom Wall.

Do you have the ability to see if Flipper is another incarnation of IBelieveInGod?

Different e-mail address, different IP address, for whatever that is worth.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on October 11, 2010 12:00 PM.

Annoying the Discovery Institute at SMU was the previous entry in this blog.

Happy National Fossil Day! is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Categories

Archives

Author Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.381

Site Meter