A Thank You from TOAF

On behalf of the TalkOrigins Foundation, I would like to thank everyone who contributed to our campaign to bid on the motion picture “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.” Unfortunately, we were unable to bid high enough to purchase the film.

The response to this last-minute campaign was overwhelming. I had expected we might raise about $5,000. If we had raised $8,000, I would have been very pleased.

Instead, between Thursday (June 23), when we announced the campaign, and yesterday (June 27), we received 394 donations through our Paypal account, totaling $16,152.66. We also received pledges of funds from several individuals, including Professor Richard Dawkins, totaling another $32,200.00.

Combined with the funds the Foundation already had on hand, we had just over $50,000 available to bid on the film (and pay the 10% buyer’s premium). The winning bid, however, was $201,000. Because all of the bidders were anonymous, we do not know identity of the winning bidder.

Although we were unsuccessful in purchasing the film, I do not believe this campaign was a waste of time. If nothing else, it demonstrated the commitment so many of you have to the tenets of scientific inquiry.

The Foundation’s directors have discussed what to do in the event we were unsuccessful in purchasing the film. We had stated in our fundraising solicitation that we could not guarantee a return of any donations. That said, it has been our intent from the beginning to return all of the donations to this campaign, if that could be done. It appears that Paypal will allow us to refund contributions made by credit card or from a Paypal balance. (I do not know yet about those few eCheck transactions we received, but we will attempt to refund those as well.)

It will take some time for the refunding to be completed. We cannot even begin refunding donations until we can transfer funds back from the Foundation’s bank account to Paypal, which will take a few days to clear. Rest assured, however, that we will move as quickly as we can to complete the refunds.

Many of you have stated that you were happy with the Foundation keeping your donation in the event we were not successful in bidding on “Expelled.” Although we greatly appreciate the sentiment, it will be simpler for us to return all donations made since June 23 than to sort out who does and who does not want their donation returned. Our thanks again to all of you who contributed to this campaign.

Kenneth Fair
Secretary/Treasurer, TalkOrigins Foundation, Inc.

Of course, as soon as you get your refund, you could turn around and re-donate it back to TOAF. They are the good guys.

Now THAT’S class.

I didn’t donate much, but I’ll re-donate double. TO is worth it.

That was fun. When do we get to re-donate?

(btw, the winning bidder 8461 is probably an evilutionist - the thirteenth bid has the number 666 in it.)

Looks like the winning bidder and the under bidder were both new registrants to the system based on their ID numbers. So I suspect that they registered just to bid on the Expelled properties. This likely means that they were either a creationist outfit trying to secure the rights to Expelled or someone in the media industry that wanted to add Expelled to its film library.

Given the amount of money spent, I suspect that the latter is more likely. Of course if a creationist organization was driving up the price this morning because they didn’t want TOAF to get it, I would consider it a job done.

Rats. Now I’ll have to do the Paypal thing all over again.

Looks like the wolves at Talk.Origins have been denied access to the hen house : )

Let’s hope the winning bidder is a real sheep, and not a wolf in sheeps clothing (“Christian” Evolutionist).

Like Reed, given the amount of money spent, I too think this was more likely to be a purchase by a media investor rather than a creationist outfit. But it’s hard to say, since we do not know (and may never know) who the winning bidder was.

Ray, why should it matter to you who the winning bidder is? The book you have been promising us for years is supposed to have the only refutation of “Darwinism” ever needed.

To any reader who is unfamiliar with Ray, he includes Discovery Institute IDers among the “wolves” (“Christian” Evolutionists).

Frank J said: Ray, why should it matter to you who the winning bidder is?

Oh, it’s just something to complain about. He’s always got to be whingeing about something, after all; it’s not like he ever wants to do anyone any good.

Do you ever have anything good to say about anyone or anything, Ray? Link?

This was fun! And very interesting - another idea for an article. I assume that sooner or later we will find out who or what outfit owns Expelled if it is distributed again.

One thing that can be said, about this auction, the Synthese affair, Granville Sewell’s paper, and Richard Sternberg’s shenanigans: intelligent design is polarizing, divisive. It disrupts, not contributes to, the acquisition of knowledge via peer review and publication or production. That is ID’s legacy no matter what the fate of Expelled.

At any rate, I’ll be happy to return my refund! (P.S. This is “Kristine” - I cannot resurrect my old login for some reason.)

Ray Martinez -

If only people who are predestined to damnation accept the theory of evolution anyway, why do you waste your time talking about it?

You have dodged this question several times now. I conclude that your stated beliefs do not coincide with your true beliefs.

Kenneth Fair -

Please keep my donation. If it happens that you do return it, and I notice that, I will re-donate.

What if I’d rather you keep my donation? Is there some way I can confirm that to you?

harold said:

Ray Martinez -

Ray Martinez is either a sneering bigot who thinks that he is the only person ever to be allowed into Heaven, or he is a poe too wrapped up in playing the role of a sneering bigot.

If he’s genuine about his bigotry, why would he bother caring about who gets “Expelled”? After all, he routinely denounces other creationists, especially the ones who made “Expelled” in the first place, as being evolutionist whores for not agreeing with him 1100%

Kenneth Fair said:

Perhaps the new owner will recognize the there’s a market for the documentary “Behind Expelled: The Lost Interviews”. I’d probably be willing to shell out a few bucks for a well put together documentary that compared and contrasted what was said, in context, in the “Expelled” interviews vs. what actually made it to the final cut.

I never did see much point in trying to acquire it, although I’d be interested in any of the communications involving it, if they came with the movie. In many ways I’d just rather see it die.

It’s all well and good that it not totally die, however, simply because the movie is so up-front about ID’s pushing of the “God hypothesis.” It was absurd of them to show state legislators this movie as they tried to get teach the weaknesses teach ID antievolution lies bills, when the movie itself frankly favors theocracy.

The showings of Expelled to legislators would be prime evidence that teaching antievolution lies really is all about getting God into the classroom, and even into the science lab (what he’d do there is anyone’s guess).

Glen Davidson

Well, dang. So much for Expelled: Pop-Up Video Edition.

Lucky for us the facts still speak for themselves. (^_^)

I have followed this story with much interest.

I have no idea who won the bidding, but it’s good to see who lost.

FL

FL said: I have followed this story with much interest.

I have no idea who won the bidding, but it’s good to see who lost.

FL, are you curious about the footage that didn’t make the final cut?

Naw, FL isn’t curious. Even if he saw the complete interviews, he wouldn’t ‘see’ them.

As far as Ray, when are you going to answer my questions over on FRDB? You said you would answer them in your next post and you haven’t post there since?

“If it’s the truth, why do you have to lie to defend it?”

Ray Martinez said:

A more apt piece of imagery would be that the pest controllers have been denied access to the termite nest.

Ray Martinez said:

That doesn’t leave many options, Ray, given that you’ve laughably described numerous creationists as “evolutionists” in the past, such as those people over at AiG.

By the way Ray, are you still peddling your “immutable species” excrement? Only aquarium fishes the world over are laughing at that. I’ll let you work out why.

Kenneth Fair said:

Well it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility for one or two creationist outfits to deploy that kind of money. After all, Ken Ham was able to blow $27 million on his concentration camp for the mind in Kentucky. He’s also gearing up to spend yet more millions on his theme park rendition of Cap’n Noah’s fantasy floating petting zoo. Though given the recent machinations Ken Ham has been engaging in to try and garner tax dollars for this latest exercise in pushing creationist doctrine onto the gullible, perhaps he’s a bit strapped for cash lately. Mind you, it’s not as if we’re lacking in rich televangelists who could find $210,000 out of their loose change for this exercise. People like Benny Hinn, who persuaded the gullible rubes to pony up $36 million for a Gulfstream IV SP business jet, and who as a corollary is probably making mafia godfathers everywhere seethe with envy. Wish I could persuade people to give me money like that. But then I’m not dishonest enough to make unctuous noises about Jeebu$ whilst worshipping the almighty dollar.

SWT said:

I admire your optimism. Unfortunately, even if the winning bidder is a media outfit, rather than another of the numerous liars for Republican Jesus, given the schlock that’s emerged from Hollywood and some of the TV channels of late, the idea that you’ll get a quality documentary on the subject is, in my view, up there with the idea that Scarlett Johanssen is going to come knocking on my door in nothing but a baby doll nightdress asking me to father her first child.

I don’t think it was a creationist outfit because they love any excuse for fund raising and they would have sent out a scare emails on how the atheists want to bury the movie. Also they would be crowing about how they won it.

Also I’ll re-donate when I get a refund.

… although it would be funny to see 2 creationist outfits bidding up the property to 200k long after Panda’s had given up.

FL said:

I have followed this story with much interest.

I have no idea who won the bidding, but it’s good to see who lost.

FL

That figures; the ‘loser’ in this case is the outfit that you could rely on to get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth out and made made public but you wouldn’t want that, would you?

But we don’t know yet if truth and justice really is the loser, let’s pray (you’ll join in, won’t you?) that expelled will get the exposure it deserves.

Wow. A YEC (FL) and and OEC (Ray) on the same thread. And neither of them sounding much like Jesus with their gloating.

C’mon guys, how about an old fashioned Gish-Ross debate. Put your “science” where your mouths are.

I do not want a refund. Keep my donation and apply it to TOAF.

Just thought of something hilarious - I wonder if the buyer might have been Ben Stein himself.

Like many people (I think), I made a contingent pledge that I would honor if TOAF had won the bidding.

I had no freaking idea that this would have gone so high. $201K US for a crappy movie!!!??? The “literary” property must have held some real problems for the creationists.

I am sure all will be destroyed by Friday (Thursday is the last day the winner has to claim the prize).

Gary_Hurd said: I had no freaking idea that this would have gone so high. $201K US for a crappy movie!!!???

Which poses the interesting question of just how much money there is in constructing cheesy crank documentaries. Alex Jones of “prisonplanet.net” cooks up nutcase Illuminati-conspiracy DVDs on a regular basis … suddenly I get the creepy feeling he’s getting rich off of them.

Ray Martinez said:

William Dembski a thief? Since he accepts species mutability/microevolution, macroevolution and common descent, like any Evolutionist, I am not the least bit surprised. His reputation as an “IDist, “ that is, an opponent of evolution, is completely false.

If anyone doubts what I say about Dembski, then see for yourself, right here:

RM (Old Earth-Young Biosphere Creatorist, Paleyan IDist-species immutabilist)

Gee, why should anyone take you seriously when you deny reality in a way that Dembski does not? Maybe you are jealous that he is more popular than you are?

I thought you weren’t commenting here Ray because

Both Matt Young and Reed Cartwright erase my messages on a routine basis (contrary to their own Rules). I have been censored by Darwinists on the Internet for years at the drop of a hat. I don’t trust any Darwinist, including you.

It’s a good thing that I’m not a Darwinist (whatever that is). Ray, seriously, you have enough trouble with the definitions of known words (like immutable and evolution). Who knows what you mean when you use made up words.

Anyway, it’s good to see that you’re posting here. Now how about answering the question (which you STILL haven’t done)?

The name “Ray” seems to ring a bell, but I suspect reality has been altered to extinguish all traces of the existence of “Ray”. Or maybe “Ray” was a myth all along, who knows?

Another update: The funds transfer that I had initiated from the bank account for the TalkOrigins Foundation to our Paypal account is complete. I have begun the process of issuing refunds, beginning with the earliest donations on June 23. I will continue that process over the next couple of days. Please be patient while I process the refunds. As soon as that process is complete, I will update everyone again.

Kenneth Fair, Secretary/Treasurer, TalkOrigins Foundation, Inc.

Ray Martinez the delusional psychotic creobot barfed:

John said:

Ray Martinez the delusional psychotic creobot whined: My response for Cali (and Ogremky) is here: [irrelavant link erased–RM]

What response, you G*DD***ED mendicant? You haven’t addressed what David Bolinsky was forced to write in response to Dembski’s brazen attempt at larceny.…

If anyone doubts what I say about Dembski, then see for yourself, right here:

RM (Old Earth-Young Biosphere Creatorist, Paleyan IDist-species immutabilist)

Dembski openly sneered and bragged back in the Fall of 2007 that he “borrowed” that Harvard University cell animation video produced for Harvard by XVIVO. You obiviously didn’t pay attention to Bolinsky’s commentary, moron!

A final update:

Unless I am mistaken, the TalkOrigins Foundation has now processed refunds for everyone who contributed to the Foundation during our campaign to buy “Expelled”; that is, everyone who contributed between June 23 and June 28. If you donated with a credit card, it may take a couple of days for the refund to show up on your statement, so please be patient.

If for some reason your donation does not show up as having been returned in a couple of days from now, please let me know by emailing me here. It would help me greatly if you could include your Paypal Transaction ID with your email, so that I can more easily determine which transaction was yours.

Once again, thank you to everyone who contributed to this campaign.

Kenneth Fair, Secretary/Treasurer, TalkOrigins Foundation, Inc.

This page contains a single entry by Guest Contributor published on June 28, 2011 11:22 AM.

Win Ben Stein’s Movie was the previous entry in this blog.

Complex eyes in the Cambrian is the next entry in this blog.