Charadrius vociferus

IMG_2743_Killdeer_600.jpg

Charadrius vociferus – killdeer. Walden Ponds, Boulder, Colorado.

They’re not kidding about the vociferus part, either.

Look at those huge eyes!

Why isn’t it dragging its wing? Also, does anyone else think plover feet look funny when they run?

My dog loves to chase plover like these at the park. I’ve never seen any put on the “broken wing” act, though.

KlausH said:

Why isn’t it dragging its wing?

Probably because the photographer has not approached its nest.

ksplawn said:

Bad dog!

I’ve seen the broken wing act. I was walking along a lake once when I saw this poor bird with a broken wing. Then I remembered reading about the behavior, so I looked around and found the nest, right between my feet.

Scott F said:

ksplawn said:

Bad dog!

The killdeer population in the park doesn’t seem to be too broken up over it. All the open or sports fields are thick with them despite decades of people letting their dogs run around off-leash when they can get away with it. In fact they’ve gotten more numerous in recent years since some of the trees were taken down and new softball diamonds put in; more places for them to forage.

He also likes to lunge at the Muscovy ducks around the pond, which I admit to not being personally broken up over.

Mit Jobs said:

I really want to see this bird and examine it. I am curious about its behavior and how it, as other commentators have said in the post, drags its wings. Is it a defense tactic? Or is it just lazy to keep its wings in place?

Kildeers are noisy birds, going “FaWeet” all the time. They are actually shore birds and nest on the ground, or flat rooftops. They generally use the broken wing act to lure intruders away from their eggs.

As far as I can tell, Mit Jobs was actually a spam comment - they are getting better all the time.

Matt Young said:

They are, indeed. My day job involves thwacking these thieves, mostly in the email domain.

Viewing the history of this conflict from a safe distance, it is obviously Evolution In Action: measures engender counter-measures.

It’s not botspam - it isn’t generic enough. This actually fits the thread, but doesn’t simply repeat words and phrases from previous posts, either. There’s a human on the other end, I think, someone in a boilerroom somewhere in the third world, most likely, who’s being paid fifty cents per hundred posts to put linkspam into fairly high-traffic blogs.

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on June 4, 2012 12:00 PM.

ScienceBlogs migration problem was the previous entry in this blog.

Gill slits, and Adam and Eve is the next entry in this blog.