Grand Canyon

IMG_2987GrandCanyon_600.JPG

Grand Canyon. Digital photograph of a print taken on Kodak Plus-X film in 1964. Took several hours in a smelly darkroom to achieve what you can do in tens of minutes today.

Clearly it was created in 5 minutes!

Kellen Doolin said:

Clearly it was created in 5 minutes!

No, if I recall correctly, Plus-X took about seven and a half minutes in D-76.

WoW! What a pic to have in your repertoire!

TQ for the share!

North Rim?

North Rim?

I think it must be the North Rim, since we were driving from Los Angeles to Denver.

Kellen Doolin said:

Clearly it was created in 5 minutes!

No. It says quite clearly that it took several hours in a smelly darkroom. Obviously, this bit of Creation preceeded the “Fiat Lux!” bit. :)

Matt,

Great photograph, though I might add that I am sure the original black and white print looks more spectacular than its digital version. (As an aside, I haven’t succumbed to digital imaging except whenever I ask a film laboratory to scan negatives after they develop my film.)

Because of photos like this one, I am skeptical of the Colorado River making the Grand Canyon.

Henry said:

And yet, the only evidence you have ever provided to contradict the fact that the Colorado River carved the Grand Canyon out of the Colorado Plateau over the course of several million years are copy and pasted lies from blatant Liars For Jesus like Henry Morris and the lying morons at the Institute for Creation Research.

And the the only “evidence” you have ever provided to prove that the Grand Canyon was carved from leftover magic from Noah’s Flood is, um, more copy and pasted lies from blatant Liars For Jesus like Henry Morris and the lying morons at the Institute for Creation Research.

In fact, Henry, I recall that you have just recently run away from trying to prove your parroted lies in another thread.

Henry said:

Because of comments like this one, I am skeptical if you have any idea what you are talking about.

DId you read any of the comments on the other thread Henry? Can you answer any of the questions? Do you have any explanation whatsoever for the actual evidence? You do know that no one here is going to be fooled by any quotes from a bunch of liars don’t you?

See Henry, you have the right to any ignorant opinion you care to fabricate. Thing is, if it’s contradicted by all of the evidence., you shouldn’t be surprised if you can’t convince anyone to agree with your nonsense.

DS said:

While Henry has the right to voice any ignorant opinion he wants to make, and even the right to support it with blatant lies copy and pasted from liars, we, on the other hand, have the right to not be automatically swayed by said ignorance and blatant lies simply because Henry whines that he said Jesus said so.

Henry said:

Because of photos like this one my belief that my interpretation of the Bible is inerrant, I am skeptical of the Colorado River making the Grand Canyon.

Fixed it for you.

Henry said:

What is your basis for the skepticism, Henry?

Actually, Henry has a point. The Colorado River did not make the Grand Canyon. There are a great many of other forces at work. One of the neatest is flash floods/mud flows. This is where a flash flood picks up boulders and other debris and slams them into the sides of the canyon wall. The Colorado River gets hauls everything away.

I take it that these flash floods happen over and over again, and that the water from them ends up in the Colorado, after it flows down the arroyos? Only Henry thinks there was one only flood, several miles deep.

Henry said:

How do you think the amounts of water required would have chosen to, and been able to flow through that narrow canyon instead of owerflowing a large area of the plains?

Isn’t it obvious that such amounts of water simply can’t flow through a narrow canyon in the time you think it took?

Where would such huge amounts of water come from in such a short time? Look at the Scablands; isn’t that more like what you get under similar circumstances?

Please explain how the GC could be created in your chosen timeframe. Where did the water come from? What caused it to hold its speed and flow at just the right volume so that it all chose a narrow path to make a narrow canyon when a much wider area was avilable? You can only pour so much water down a narrow path in any given timeframe.

The volume of water required to make the GC would have to be released into the canyon at a pace compatible with the canyon as it is. An almost unlimited water supply would of course have spread out over a much wider area. We would have ended up with a wide V-shape.

Sorry for you, your hypothesis doesn’t hold water.

If any, how many capable geologists or hydrologists suppo0rt your hypothesis?

IANAS, but I think I understand basic physics. Do you? I doubt it.

(Sigh) I see that the feeding continues unabated. Has anyone bothered to ask which of the mutually contradictory alternate (non)explanations the (pseudo)skeptic prefers, and whether he has expressed his “skepticism” of any of the others? The fact that evolution-deniers can’t even agree on whether it took 5 minutes, millions of years, or something in between, speaks more volumes than everything they have claimed in the last 150 years combined. And their increasing habit of evading basic questions and playing “don’t ask, don’t tell” speaks even more volumes than that.

j. biggs said:

Henry said:

Fixed it for you.

I endorse that improvement. As an aside, I should note that genuine scientific creationists like Buckland and Segwick (He was Darwin’s geology professor at Cambridge BTW.), accepted creationism from their view that the universe operated via natural laws like Newton’s laws of motion, not by some Divine Fiat. That’s a lesson which Henry and current “scientific creationists” need to heed.

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on September 3, 2012 12:00 PM.

Sequencing the Denisovan genome was the previous entry in this blog.

Save Siccar Point! is the next entry in this blog.