Episyron biguttatus

| 13 Comments

Photograph by Kurt Andreas.

Photography contest, Honorable Mention.

Andreas.Episyron_biguttatus.jpg

Episyron biguttatus – spider wasp predating on Araneus diadematus – garden spider, New Paltz, N.Y., August 20, 2011.

13 Comments

Wouldn’t especially want that thing buzzing around the house.

But if it were to clear out the spiders, hmmm.…

Glen Davidson

A spider getting the kiss of death?

My two favorite groups of animals are spiders and wasps, so pompilids (so-called “spider wasps”) are pretty much my favorite animals ever! :)

apokryltaros said:

A spider getting the kiss of death?

Maybe not right away, spider is just paralyzed - until it is later eaten alive by the wasp larva.

Somewhat ironic the adult wasps feed only on flower nectar, adult wasp only captures prey for wasp larva (the few times the spider wins the battle, the spider eats the wasp).

Tenncrain said: (the few times the spider wins the battle, the spider eats the wasp).

Spiders don’t exactly “eat” their prey, in the context of ripping off and gobbling bite-size chunks: “Spiders have a narrow gut that can only cope with liquid food… They use one of two different systems of external digestion. Some pump digestive enzymes from the midgut into the prey and then suck the liquified tissues of the prey into the gut, eventually leaving behind the empty husk of the prey. Others grind the prey to pulp… - Wikipedia, Spider - Feeding, digestion and excretion

Reminds me of one of my favorite Robert Frost poems:

Design

I found a dimpled spider, fat and white,

On a white heal-all, holding up a moth

Like a white piece of rigid satin cloth –

Assorted characters of death and blight

Mixed ready to begin the morning right,

Like the ingredients of a witches’ broth –

A snow-drop spider, a flower like a froth,

And dead wings carried like a paper kite.

————————————

What had that flower to do with being white,

The wayside blue and innocent heal-all?

What brought the kindred spider to that height,

Then steered the white moth thither in the night?

What but design of darkness to appall?–

If design govern in a thing so small.

Robert Frost

Just Bob quoted Robert Frost:

What but design of darkness to appall?–

If design govern in a thing so small.

Headline: “Robert Frost Questions Intelligent Design!”

Along comes Mr. Flyswatter to met out justice to any and all concerned.

On second thought that wasp might need something heavier.

Frank B - Whatever you use, just make sure that it gets the job done the first time, since you may not get a second chance! Stings from a pompilid wasp rate near the very top of Schmidt’s Sting Pain Index. He describes the sensation as, “Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.”

No need to fear folks. Going by the date of the photo, I would presume this wasp has already met his demise, naturally.

Bobsie said:

No need to fear folks. Going by the date of the photo, I would presume this wasp has already met his demise, naturally.

That would be “her” demise.

Paul Burnett said:

Tenncrain said: (the few times the spider wins the battle, the spider eats the wasp).

Spiders don’t exactly “eat” their prey, in the context of ripping off and gobbling bite-size chunks: “Spiders have a narrow gut that can only cope with liquid food… They use one of two different systems of external digestion. Some pump digestive enzymes from the midgut into the prey and then suck the liquified tissues of the prey into the gut, eventually leaving behind the empty husk of the prey. Others grind the prey to pulp… - Wikipedia, Spider - Feeding, digestion and excretion

Interesting design.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on January 28, 2013 12:00 PM.

The Revisionaries on PBS was the previous entry in this blog.

The correspondence of Alfred Russel Wallace is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Categories

Archives

Author Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.381

Site Meter