What passes for science at AIG

Snopes.com yesterday verified that a “science” test (below the fold) given to 4th graders at a sectarian school is in fact real. Answers in Genesis, meanwhile, vilifies anyone who objects to such nonsense being taught as science, calling them “intolerant atheists” who “viciously attack [a] Christian school.”

CreationistScienceTest.jpg

Thanks to Glenn Branch for the links.

The child’s father says that he is trying to deprogram the child (my locution, not his) and that she will not attend the school next year. As for me, I wonder why he is waiting so long.

I guess there’s one answer that’s correct, which is that you can say “were you there.” It’s meaningless, and they weren’t there “in Eden” either (yes, I know their circular reasoning that supposedly makes reading a myth answer all questions, but…), yet you can quote mindless questions in lieu of providing evidence.

‘Do you have the “forensic evidence”’ is my question. Because we do, and it’s better than the eyewitness account that no one has.

Glen Davidson

This from Ken Ham’s hysterical attack:

The school administrator, relatively new as the head of the academy, was shocked to find her school becoming the target of atheist attacks and even some threats.

Threats. Threats, he says. Wanna bet Ham is lying… again?

If there are threats, we should demand they present evidence of these threats.

diogeneslamp0 said:

This from Ken Ham’s hysterical attack:

Threats. Threats, he says. Wanna bet Ham is lying… again?

If there are threats, we should demand they present evidence of these threats.

Well, they were probably “threats” of honest evaluations.

Those do threaten what they say, after all.

Glen Davidson

Glen Davidson said:

diogeneslamp0 said:

This from Ken Ham’s hysterical attack:

Threats. Threats, he says. Wanna bet Ham is lying… again?

If there are threats, we should demand they present evidence of these threats.

Well, they were probably “threats” of honest evaluations.

Those do threaten what they say, after all.

What greater threat is there to a Liar for Jesus than exposure to the truth?

Poe’s law came to mind when I saw that quiz

Please can someone help. My knowledge of dinosaurs and their importance in my salvation is woefully incomplete. PLEASE - what were to questions and answers to 8, 9 and 10??

AlanBagain

” As for me, I wonder why he is waiting so long.” assuming this quiz was administered in April, with less than 8 weeks +/- left in the school year - I can see the cost/benefit of finishing out the year

what infuriates me is that in some parts of the country - vouchers (public taxpayer money) could be used to pay for this “education”

-JasonMitchell

https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/[…]TO1rKHmi8B-c said:

AlanBagain

Those must have been the really bad questions that they didn’t want anybody to see.

They have every right to substitute this crap for science in their private schools. I can’t wait until the students go to public colleges and try to answer multiple choice questions on geology with religious nonsense.

I wonder how they would grade someone who answered “Allah” to number 11?

Some suggestions for source materials:

History of the World part 1, by Mel Brooks.

The Flintstones.

Jurassic Park.

Tarzan the Ape Man.

Teaching Creationist dogmas as science is fraud, period. It should not be done even in a “Christian” school. Doesn’t Christianity have teachings against lying?

If I recall correctly, such dismal eduational preparation was turned down in CA as fulfilling the science requirements for entering CA colleges. This should be far below the standard that colleges adopt for entry into their domains. And yes, some tax money is going towards this junk, that’s what the religious right has been pushing regarding vouchers and tax incentives, etc.

As a science teacher, I have to add, besides the basic facts of the test- that’s a really poorly designed test as well.

Q5: What did people and animals eat in the beginning?

Ans: Plants

So when did we humans start becomming omnivores? And what about all the carnivore animals?

DavidK said:

Q5: What did people and animals eat in the beginning?

Ans: Plants

See the discussion on the Bathroom Wall, currently going on. We have a pair of regular fundies who are telling us all about it.

The YEC Fundies are out of their minds. The science test simply reflects their whacked out claims. In response, the evos are laughing uncontrollibly and at the same time saddened to see the minds of children being brainwashed by absolute nonsense.

Yet let’s not lose sight of the fact that these same people, the YECs, accept conceptual existence of natural selection, microevolution, and macroevolution within (not between) created kinds.

RM (Old Earth, Paleyan IDist-species immutabilist)

You’re on a streak, Ray! You’d be batting 1.000 if it weren’t for the fact that the unspoken intent behind that second paragraph is that the things you enumerate are BAD things.

Please do not feed the Martinez troll. I will allow it 1 comment; further comments will be sent to the Bathroom Wall.

Unfortunately I’ve heard of people going to the government when they’re marked poorly for writing reports based on this nonsense in reputable universities, and succeeding in getting the marked changed (from a failing to passing grade).

Matt Young said:

Why not just ban him completely? He never tells the truth and seems to exist only to spew hatred.

The only one answered correctly was, # 7.

That seems unlikely if it happened at a science (and not humanities) department at a public university. I do not mean to dis the humanities. It can be valid to expound upon religious and pseudoscience views there.

The only one answered correctly was, # 7.

That may be partly because the question was ill-posed – I suspect that the “teacher” was thinking of the large canine teeth that are typically found in carnivores. Unless I am mistaken, you can distinguish carnivores from herbivores from the structure of their teeth, not the sharpness. If the question had been asked correctly, the answer would have been “true.”

Not my decision. There are several trolls whom I would ban completely, rather than go to the bother of catching them and sending their dreck to the BW. But then they would cry “Censorship!” and create other problems. Besides, a lot of readers seem to enjoy beating their heads against the wall by engaging these trolls on the BW, and maybe their excrescences are instructive at times.

While we are on the subject of AIG, an alert reader just sent me this straw man,

To make your Ark project authentic you will need a 900 year old with zero knowledge of boatbuilding and a maximum construction crew of 8, surely?

which AIG demolishes with its usual, um, aplomb.

Matt Young said:

which AIG demolishes with its usual, um, aplomb.

So Noah hired lots of help, and when the rains began, let them drown?

lkeithlu said:

So Noah hired lots of help, and when the rains began, let them drown?

Apparntly. But of course they were not righteous, and therefore it was right that they should drown, all of them, with their families.

I often wonder, with fundies, if they absolutely lack the empathy with which most humans seem to be endowed. If they do, that makes them sociopaths, for that is the very definition of sociopathy.

Matt Young said:

which AIG demolishes with its usual, um, aplomb.

Interesting “aplomb.”

It ends with the usual threat that says essentially, “If you don’t stop pointing out the absurdities in our story, you will burn in Hell.”

Matt Young said:

Matt: There is nothing trollish and certainly nothing worthy of being banned by pointing out that the Fundies accept conceptual existence of Darwin’s main scientific claims. It seems you and a few others are upset with the messenger instead of the message.

If you don’t want me to post here then just say so, I will “ban” myself. And again, all my points are perfectly legitimate. It seems you guys lack whatever it takes to produce a quality response, which is the real reason for the call to have me banned or shipped to Siberia (BW).

Ray Martinez said (originally):

RM (Old Earth, Paleyan-IDist, species immutabilist)

lkeithlu said:

Matt Young said:

which AIG demolishes with its usual, um, aplomb.

So Noah hired lots of help, and when the rains began, let them drown?

Yeah, typical Republican.

It’s like one of those horror movies where it’s the nuclear apocalypse, and you’ve got a radiation shelter in your basement, and your next-door neighbors are banging on the door of your shelter, and you’re getting the shotgun to finish them off.

I must be an intolerant Athiest !

Ken has now visited the school:

Was able to visit the teachers and students at Blue Ridge Christian Academy in South Carolina on my way to the Honeschool Conference in Spartanburg today. This is the school the atheists viciously attacked because a teacher taught students biblical creation about Dinosaurs. What a beautiful school and what a delightful group of dedicated Christian teachers

KlausH said:

Keelyn said:

Werewolf Dongle said:

Keelyn said:

Werewolf Dongle said:

Ian Derthal said:

Ken Ham on his Facebook page today:

Here is a photo of the actual 4th grade class and the teacher who showed AiG’s ‘Dinosaurs Genesis and the Gospel’ DVD and gave the class a short test on the biblical truths they had learned. The test was posted by a person in the community… on a website and it went viral on the Internet as a result of atheists viciously lashing out at the school.

Think about it! The atheists are so worried about this small but high quality school in teaching a small group of kids. Compare this to the millions of kids the secularists already have at their disposal through the public education system and the numerous secular museums across the country to indoctrinate in their anti-God religion of evolution/millions of years/naturalism. The atheists now are not content with imposing their anti-God religion on the majority of kids–they want ALL of your kids. In my opinion, this action by the atheists against this small Christian School clearly illustrates:

1. How intolerant these atheists are of Christianity 2. The atheists think they have a license in this culture go after Christians as the enemy and say whatever they want about them 3. They must be very insecure in the views 4. They don’t have any logical arguments to defend their position which is why they name call and attack 5. This also shows that the secularists have become increasingly aggressive against Christians and God’s people need become bold in their stand for Him and His Word. 6. There is increasing rhetoric from the atheists that kids belong to the community, the state, not the parents.

But, as Christians, we should not be surprised:

“whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.” (2 Corinthians 4:4)

Pray for Blue Ridge Christian Academy. I believe God is using this wonderful Christian School for might purposes–and that’s how God works–in ways we never would have dreamed of.

The article we wrote on this situation is at: http://www.answersingenesis.org/art[…]stian-school

AiG’s Theme for this year is:

Standing Our Ground–Rescuing Our Kids (Galatians 1:4). We need to be actively rescuing our kids from this evil generation that are out to destroy them.

What Ken Ham and people like FL fail to realise is that young Earth creationism, and what is written on this school test in no way is Christianity. None of what that child wrote appears anywhere in scripture. I wish some of the so called evangelical leaders would speak up against this nonsense. This brings the whole of Christianity and the gospel into disrepute. No wonder Atheists are laughing.

You must be the sort of lukewarm, Laodecian Christian Jesus spews out of his mouth. The science quiz clearly reflects Biblical truth. That makes it correct. Will you disagree with your Lord and Savior on Judgment Day?

The “science quiz” clearly reflects nonsense. That makes it wrong.

Then you must think the Bible is nonsense. If you died today are you sure where you would end up?

Yes, I think the majority of Bible is nonsense, yes like the posted “science quiz.” Yes, I am sure will I will end up if I die today. Thanks for the “concern”. Now we are done.

When your sole purpose for Jesus Christ is to be your holy ventriloquist’s dummy, why should you care?

KlausH said: The ironic thing is that most of the crap on the test is not even in the Bible. Creationists often have bizarre beliefs with no scriptural support, while bleating about taking the Bible literally. My favorite is the “speaking in tongues” idiocy. If they actually READ the Bible, they would see it is the OPPOSITE of the insane babbling they do. Then there is the hypocrisy of claiming Jesus is the most important person in their lives, while making no attempt to actually learn about him, his times, places he visited, customs, the language he spoke, the people he dealt with, or any actual historical evidence.

In most cases, however, there is some way of manufacturing Biblical support for the belief. And for explaining away Biblical support for something that they don’t want to accept.

Among my favorites of the first kind is the doctrine that such-and-such is true if and only if it’s in the Bible.

My favorite of the second kind is how heliocentrism is made to be compatible with the Bible, despite the obvious fact that for something like 2000 years (counting from 500 BC to AD 1500) nobody noticed that the Bible was compatible with any cosmology not involving the Sun making a daily cycle around a fixed Earth.

But mostly it is pointless to argue against their construction of what the Bible “really means”. They know that they are right, and everybody else is wrong.

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on May 1, 2013 11:33 AM.

World’s first WWW page … was the previous entry in this blog.

Whale hands is the next entry in this blog.