Papilio glaucus

| 11 Comments

Photograph by Dragoness.

Photography contest, Honorable Mention.

Wysocki.Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Male.02.JPG

Papilio glaucus, male. The (female) black morph was shown in the photography contest, here.

11 Comments

Now that is gorgeous!

But it’s still an insect!!1111!!!eleven!!!!!!

Nice! Is it just me or is THE shot everyone who photographs butterflies gets of the swallowtails? I have this exact shot myself. I finally decided to try something different and shot a Black Swallowtail directly face on. Of course with that particular angle it’s hard to tell what the creature actually is. You can see the pic at ATBC: http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bi[…]#entry209159

It’s the fourth pic in the group.

Robin said:

Nice! Is it just me or is THE shot everyone who photographs butterflies gets of the swallowtails? I have this exact shot myself. I finally decided to try something different and shot a Black Swallowtail directly face on. Of course with that particular angle it’s hard to tell what the creature actually is. You can see the pic at ATBC: http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bi[…]#entry209159

It’s the fourth pic in the group.

Perhaps it’s a characteristic pose of Swallowtails (unlike peppered moths, which tend to settle on the undersides of Creationists, I gather.) Might there be an adaptive advantage. Don’t brightly-coloured exhibitionist organisms tend to be poisonous (or at least unpleasant?)

Incidentally, is this the butterfly that flapped its wings and caused it to rain on David Coppedge’s parade?

Kevin B said:

Incidentally, is this the butterfly that flapped its wings and caused it to rain on David Coppedge’s parade?

No. That was an Eastern Tailed Blue. Most people don’t even notice them and have no idea how much influence such innocuous creatures actually have on our day-to-day lives. ;-P

Robin said:

Kevin B said:

Incidentally, is this the butterfly that flapped its wings and caused it to rain on David Coppedge’s parade?

No. That was an Eastern Tailed Blue. Most people don’t even notice them and have no idea how much influence such innocuous creatures actually have on our day-to-day lives. ;-P

Years ago one of the scientific humor magazines reported on an expedition to China, in which they captured the actual butterfly that influenced world weather.

Kevin B said: Incidentally, is this the butterfly that flapped its wings and caused it to rain on David Coppedge’s parade?

On Martin Luther King Day, the Dishonesty Institute reminds us that “Intelligent Design Is a Civil Rights Issue” - http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/0[…]e068451.html

Paul Burnett said:

Kevin B said: Incidentally, is this the butterfly that flapped its wings and caused it to rain on David Coppedge’s parade?

On Martin Luther King Day, the Dishonesty Institute reminds us that “Intelligent Design Is a Civil Rights Issue” - http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/0[…]e068451.html

Sure, just like geocentrism. Everyone has the right to believe whatever stupid crap they want for whatever reason they want. They just don’t have the right to force others to go along with it. From that perspective, it sure is a civil rights issue.

Joe Felsenstein said:

Years ago one of the scientific humor magazines reported on an expedition to China, in which they captured the actual butterfly that influenced world weather.

Heh! Sounds like something The Onion would do. :)

Robin said:

Joe Felsenstein said:

Years ago one of the scientific humor magazines reported on an expedition to China, in which they captured the actual butterfly that influenced world weather.

Heh! Sounds like something The Onion would do. :)

It was either Journal of Irreproducible Results or Annals of Improbable Research. I saw it in a “best of” compilation. But I cannot find the exact reference now.

Thank You for the honorable mention!!! This specimen has survived butterfly battles but lost its swallowtails in the process.

Re; Qs about photographing swallowtails, we are inundated with swallowtails of several types in our little WV mountain valley.

I look forward to spring for more!!

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Matt Young published on January 21, 2013 12:00 PM.

Bryan College dropping Center for Origins Research was the previous entry in this blog.

The NYTimes on science denial is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Categories

Archives

Author Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.381

Site Meter